Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services (RCDTS) work as part of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and have one of the largest customer bases in the world. We have recently embarked on an ambitious and challenging digital transformation programme which will result in HMRC becoming one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
We’re increasingly virtualising our estate and fundamentally restructuring the way we deal with our IT and our partners across our ecosystem. We are building a deep understanding of our customers, working in agile ways, and implementing a DevOps approach.
We focus on our people, with clearly defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable. We have flexible ways of working to help everyone manage their own work/life balance. And we’re creating an authentically diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
Why this could be a great role for you….
We are looking for a talented DevOps Engineer to strengthen our team. This exciting opportunity sits within our Case Management Delivery Group (CMDG), which is responsible for providing case and content management solutions used by around 26k colleagues across various directorates within HMRC. You will be working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and will be an important team member, working on the DevOps activities within a portfolio of Products; working in a fast-paced Agile environment you will help to deliver new products and solutions which underpin HMRC’s digital strategy to operate as a ‘Digital by Default’ organisation.
You will be part of a team of technical specialists with the purpose of delivering a high-quality service to HMRC as part of CDIO, focussing on continuous improvement of the service provided to customers. This will include contributing to the technical direction for the team and utilising the right tools and practices applicable to a flexible and highly skilled workforce.
As a DevOps Engineer you will be taking on a technical role within the Telford Tooling & automation team. Working in a semi-autonomous role you will also be responsible for developing and delivering platform automation systems whilst also assisting developers and engineers to exploit these platforms throughout the full product lifecycle to ensure delivery of the highest-quality software products.
You will be an SME involved in delivering new technology and business processes and you will need to understand the current organisational dynamics, identify future needs and create solutions to help meet those needs in relation to information and software systems.
- Be responsible for designing, coding, testing, correcting and documenting complex solutions from agreed specifications and subsequent iterations, using agreed standards and tools.
- Collaborate in reviews of specifications by working with the Senior DevOps & Automation lead and business as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of deliverables required from DevOps & Automation, using contain technologies, orchestration systems, cloud platforms and other automation toolsets to provide value across the delivery group.
- Provide advice and direction to new and in-flight projects, maximising efficiency and productivity whilst reducing time to delivery and ensuring adherence to agreed practices.
- As a key member of the team, you will assist in the delivery of these solutions by collaborating with teams both internal to HMRC and external suppliers.
- Carry out and report fault diagnosis relating to complex problems, under the direction of the Senior DevOps lead.
- Be responsible, under the direction of the Senior DevOps lead, for the promotion of Infrastructure as code.
- Contribute to Configuration management and the use of automation tools (including Gitlab CI, Ansible, Terraform, AWX/Ansible).
- Ensure DevOps and automation solutions are compliant with site security requirements and best practises.
- Work closely with the Senior DevOps lead, Business Owners and Suppliers to ensure services are delivered in accordance with agreed service levels.
- Perform out-of-hours support, scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Experience of involvement in multiple IT projects, working in an automation-based role across the whole lifecycle, preferably with an Agile background,
- Building, maintaining and testing software applications as part of a multi-functional product focused agile delivery team
- Evidence of good problem-solving skills and the ability to analyse issues and advise on possible solutions, including writing supporting reports and documentation to support resolution.
- Evidence of good all-round communication skills and a solid background in documentation creation/review.
- Experience of working with container technologies and orchestration systems (Docker, Podman, containerd, Kubernetes, Nomad);
- Knowledge of OS’s (Windows, Redhat, Ubuntu)
- Awareness of the governance skills required to ensure the DevOps and automation solutions are compliant with site security requirements and best practises.
- Familiarity with Hashicorp product stack Consul, Vault, Nomad, Terraform.
- Experience of agile practices such as Scrum/Kanban.
- Experience of networking in both on-premises and cloud environment
- Familiar with Atlassian Tool Suite: JIRA (epic, story, bug, task tracking), Confluence
- A broad understanding and experience of different AWS products ranging from EC2’s & storage to IAM & Role Management
- Some experience of configuration management and automation tools (Gitlab CI, Ansible, Terraform, AWX/Ansible)
- Familiar with Service mesh experience with Hashicorp Consul, and network traffic routing experience preferably with NGINX and/or TRAEFIK
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services