Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services (RCDTS) are working alongside HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and embarking on an ambitious and challenging digital transformation programme which will result in HMRC becoming one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
RCDTS was set up in 2015 as a subsidiary of HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Officer Group and has one of the largest customer bases in the world.
Our role sits within Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO), we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
We’re removing our dependence on data centres, as we increasingly virtualise our estate. We’re fundamentally restructuring the way we look after our IT and the way we work with partners across our ecosystem. But it’s not just about the tech. We’re building a deep understanding of our customers, working in agile ways, and implementing a DevOps approach.
We focus on our people, with clearly defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable. We have flexible ways of working to help everyone manage their own work/life balance. And we’re creating an authentically diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
Role & Responsibilities
What you will do:
As a Senior Business Analyst you will be a key part of an expert digital community delivering a generational change to the way HMRC delivers products and services to people across the UK.
You will work across the product delivery lifecycle to bring together business needs with technical capabilities, with the goal of defining solutions that deliver value.
You're a skilled BA. and we'll give you more opportunities to grow your capability and your career working with Senior and Lead BAs in our community, through formal learning, meet-ups and more. As part of a wider community of practice you'll also have chance to manage and coach Associate BAs.
Everything we do here is at scale and with impact. We're part of the UK's most important government department, and we're taking on a massive transformation of government products, services and ways of working. The work we do is technically and structurally complex, uniquely challenging and above all driven by an extraordinary purpose – to enable our Government to finance all the things that it wants to do and achieve all the benefits it wants to achieve.
You'll have the core BA skills needed to enable our multi-disciplinary digital teams to leverage cutting edge technology/thinking and user-centric design to optimise products and services that are crucial for the good governance of our Nation.
We work across a mixed economy of new, legacy and hybrid systems, so we'll need you to be adaptable and able to develop and deliver a hybrid approach.
Duties will include:
- As a Senior Business Analyst you will be a key member of our Delivery Hub team collaborating with all stakeholders throughout the full delivery lifecycle.
- You will have a good understanding of strategic arenas and leading large, complex projects. You will be expected to identify, define and manage the objectives of the business and facilitate the setting of business priorities for change initiatives of high complexity.
- You will lead on eliciting requirements and take responsibility for the investigation and implementation of changes to programme scope. You must be able to specify requirements from both a business and user perspective to enable agreed changes to be implemented effectively.
- You will develop best practice, own stakeholder relationships and manage communities of practice activities (both internally and across government). You will also show a systematic, analytical approach to problem solving, have good interpersonal skills and be confident in dealing with clients/users. You should be aware of the software engineering life-cycle for development and the concepts and practices required to implement effective information systems.
- Investigates operational requirements, problems, and opportunities, seeking effective business solutions through improvements in automated and non-automated components of new or changed processes.
- Assists in the analysis of stakeholder objectives, and the underlying issues arising from investigations into business requirements and problems and identifies options for consideration.
- Works iteratively with stakeholders, to identify potential benefits and available options for consideration, and in defining acceptance tests.
- Facilitates scoping and business priority-setting for change initiatives of medium size and complexity.
- Contributes to selection of the most appropriate means of representing business requirements in the context of a specific change initiative, ensuring traceability back to source.
- Discovers and analyses requirements for fitness for purpose as well as adherence to business objectives and consistency, challenging positively as appropriate.
- Obtains formal agreement by stakeholders and recipients to scope and requirements and establishes a baseline on which delivery of a solution can commence.
- Manages requests for and the application of changes to baselined requirements. Identifies the impact on business requirements of interim (e.g. migration) scenarios as well as the required end position.
- Extensive experience eliciting and elaborating requirements.
- Extensive experience managing a product backlog.
- Proven ability to produce data and process models.
- Experience in effectively managing internal stakeholders and external suppliers.
- Extensive experience working as a Business Analyst in a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Scum Agile framework and Kanban Agile framework.
- Experience performing a proxy Product Owner role in the absence of Product Owner.
- Extensive experience modelling using Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN).
- Experience working with PEGA.
- Experience working with stakeholders to produce and review training and system guidance.
- Completion of (or tangible evidence of working towards) International Diploma in Business Analysis certification.
- Completion of (or tangible evidence of working towards) Certified PEGA Business Architect (CPBA) certification.
- Extensive experience of working with JIRA and Confluence.
- Proven experience of participation in architectural decision making at various levels.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services