At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
At HMRC we have a vital purpose. We help people pay their tax and provide financial support to families and individuals. We make sure money is available to fund the UK’s public services such as hospitals and schools, answering around 50 million calls and handling 15 million items of customer correspondence every year.
We’re striving to be the best customer service organisation in the UK, and we need enthusiastic people to help us achieve this.
Our services support customers on behalf of the entire department, dealing with a broad range of different and complex customer enquiries.
This is a great chance to start your career with HMRC and we offer real opportunities to progress and develop your career with us or the wider Civil Service if you choose.
Our Customer Service Advisors are the voice of HMRC, using their brilliant communications skills to give our customers the best possible experience.
Your primary role will be handling contact from customers effectively and efficiently across different lines of business.
You'll be the first point of contact for our customers, providing a first-rate service by telephone, email or webchat.
Your duties will depend on the line of business you join; however, all business areas expect your duties to include:
- speaking to customers on the phone, helping them with their questions or issues
- taking payments by phone, letter and our online services
- creating customer records and keeping them up to date
- using webchat and email to support our customers online
We work a variety of shifts between 7.45am and 8pm Monday to Saturday, to make sure we can help customers when they need us.
You will work a maximum of one late shift per week (ending at 8pm) and a maximum of 6 Saturdays each year.
The majority of roles within customer services allow you to work from home two days a week if you choose, this includes Saturday and 8pm shifts.
As a flexible employer, we consider part-time requests, however we do require you to complete your training on a full-time basis, usually 6 weeks Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.
What are we looking for?
No experience is necessary as you will be fully trained, but we would like you to be comfortable talking on the phone and writing up notes as this is mainly a phone-based role.
We are looking for individuals with the drive and passion to make a difference to people’s lives, and need people:
- with great communication skills, both verbal and written in English language (and Welsh where required)
- dedicated to providing a brilliant customer service
- with a can-do attitude and a real passion for supporting people
- with the personal resilience to work in a demanding and rewarding environment
- able to provide information both quickly and clearly
- comfortable handling different types of conversations
- with an ability to do basic maths calculations
HMRC are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services
Less than 1 year