£41,782 - £44,932
This role can be based in Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Telford or Worthing. We offer a hybrid working model that allows you to work between home and office locations, giving you greater flexibility about where and when you work. Occasional travel to other sites will be required.
Are you an IT architect that is passionate about designing and developing solutions to technology challenges?
If so, continue reading to find out more about this fantastic opportunity to join HMRC – one of the largest and most dynamic IT infrastructures in Europe, and we are now one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
We are a small, agile team within our Chief Technology and Design Office that focus on Technical Innovation. Our objective isn’t necessarily what we can change tomorrow, but the longer-term improvement of the UK tax system. We work to understand and solve problems, proposing innovative solutions through continuous exploration.
As key member of our multidisciplinary Innovation Team, you’ll work alongside User Researchers, Analysts, Designers, Product Managers, policy, innovation and technology specialists.
As a team, you’ll develop innovative approaches for digital products that are part of end-to-end services across HMRC and government.
By using emerging technology, data, and considering user needs, you’ll develop innovative concepts and solutions, supporting Innovation colleagues with technical and architecture expertise.
You’ll test the art of the possible by designing proof of concepts to test solutions for future services, working with internal groups, third parties, external suppliers and academia to develop concepts and MVPs.
This is an exciting opportunity to make real changes for HMRC and our customers through innovation and to join our Architecture community supporting a large-scale dynamic transformation that has profound impact both on customers and our staff.
• Providing technical expertise and direction, supporting collaborative Innovation teams, working with colleagues to understand requirements and help design innovative solutions that work.
• Playing a leading role in tracking, understanding and testing new and emerging technologies, their implications and opportunities for HMRC and our customers.
• Understanding complex and often ambiguous technical narratives and translating them into layperson’s language and indicating where that is not possible. Leading interviews between HMRC, customer organisations and accountancy agents in order to draw out details of technological advances and uncertainties and present to non-technical colleagues.
• Developing an understanding of user needs, to design user-centred technical service propositions.
• Identifying business problems and recommending technical solutions and designs.
• Undertaking structural analysis of technical issues, translating this analysis into technical designs that describe a solution.
• Building collaborative relationships with partners across teams and services.
• Articulating technical requirements and implications compellingly to technical and non-technical colleagues, senior leaders, business partners and customers.
Essential technical skills and expertise for this role:
• High and low-level designs with full lifecycle management, from requirements management to supporting the operations teams with service introduction.
• Effective communication with colleagues, business partners, customers and senior leaders.
• Bridging the gap between the technical and non-technical with the ability to translate technical concepts, so they are understood by all.
• Making and guiding effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached.
• Working with business and technology partners to translate business problems into technical designs.
• Looking beyond the immediate technical problem and identifying wider implications, understanding the broad context.
These areas of experience are desirable:
• Software development and architecture.
• A keen interest and awareness in ‘cutting edge’ technologies including Distributed Ledger Technology, Cryptocurrencies and Open Banking, NLP and Computer Vision.
• Cloud (AWS/Azure/Google or Hybrid) based architecture designs and implementation.
• Agile methodologies and principles.
• Learning and development tailored to your role.
• An environment with flexible working options.
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
• A Civil Service pension.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services