What will you do?
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is one of the UK’s largest employers, with over 66,000 employees nationally. We are responsible for collecting taxes from individuals and businesses; the money we collect in tax pays for our public services and helps to fund things like schools and hospitals, build roads and public buildings, and support communities.
We also protect the workforce by enforcing minimum wage and we look after those in need by administering a range of benefits including child benefit, tax-free childcare, statutory pay, and tax credits.
Who are we looking for?
The Customer Compliance Group (CCG) is the largest business group in HMRC, with over 27,000 people working in this area.
The Transformation Directorate was established in November 2019 and is responsible for driving transformational change within CCG and supporting both CCG and HMRC to deliver their strategic objectives.
The Deputy Director of Programme and Project Management will be principally accountable for successfully delivering a current portfolio of circa 20 simultaneous projects and programmes, with £500m value over five years.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an established, high-performing team where you’ll be at the heart of driving and championing best practice, benefits-focused programme and project delivery, across CCG and in line with HMRC’s corporate standards.
What will you be part of?
This is a senior leadership role in one of the nation's busiest and most complex public sector transformation teams. As Deputy Director of Programme & Project Management, every day will bring fresh professional challenges and an opportunity to make a positive impact on a national stage.
The successful candidate will be an adept leader, working across a broad and intellectually stimulating portfolio.
- Portfolio and Change Management experience, with a proven ability to manage a diverse portfolio of programmes and projects
- Experience of leading large teams of PPM professionals, including senior programme managers, with evidence of successfully building PPM capability to meet delivery targets
- Significant experience of leading and delivering large, complex Programmes and Projects at scale, with experience of managing £multi-million budgets
- Strong leadership experience, influential at all levels of seniority within the business and deemed as highly credible in all matters relating to project and programme delivery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, adept at relationship-building and collaborating with and through others, across functions
- Financial and commercial acumen – ability to decipher financial statements and the ability to recognise how different strategies will impact value for money and budget
- Previous experience in supplier management, commercial procurements and contracting with third-party providers, including contract performance reviews
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations
- Expertise in PPM approaches, methods, and their practical application, including most government PPM methods
- A qualification in PRINCE2 and MSP is an essential minimum requirement
Investing in you
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work. A diverse, inclusive, and vibrant organisation, where everyone is supported and valued.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us, and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
We welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
Permanent, Full Time
Additional Salary Info
up to £90,000, dependent upon experience. Please note standard Civil Service pay rules apply to existing Civil Servants
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services