At HMRC we have a vital purpose. We help people pay their tax and provide financial support to families and individuals. We make sure money is available to fund the UK’s public services such as hospitals and schools, answering around 50 million calls and handling 15 million items of customer correspondence every year.
We’re striving to be the best customer service organisation in the UK, and we need enthusiastic people to help us achieve this.
Our services support customers on behalf of the entire department, dealing with a broad range of different and complex customer enquiries.
This is a great chance to start your career with HMRC and we offer real opportunities to progress and develop your career with us or the wider Civil Service if you choose.
See what it’s like to work at HMRC: find out more about us or ask our colleagues a question. Questions relating to an individual application must be emailed as detailed later in this advert.Job description
Our Customer Service Advisors are the voice of HMRC, using their brilliant communications skills to give our customers the best possible experience.
Your primary role will be handling contact from customers effectively and efficiently across different lines of business.
You'll be the first point of contact for our customers, providing a first-rate service by telephone, email or webchat.
Your duties will depend on the line of business you join; however, all business areas expect your duties to include:
- speaking to customers on the phone, helping them with their questions or issues
- taking payments by phone, letter and our online services
- creating customer records and keeping them up to date
- using webchat and email to support our customers online
We work a variety of shifts between 7.45am and 8pm, Monday to Saturday, to make sure we can help customers when they need us.
You will work a maximum of one late shift per week (ending at 8pm) and a maximum of 6 Saturdays each year.
The majority of roles within customer services allow you to work from home two days a week if you choose, this includes Saturday and 8pm shifts.
As a flexible employer, we will consider part-time requests (Part time is a minimum of 25 hours per week covering variety of shifts. Pay and annual leave will be pro-rata if we can agree your request), however we do require you to complete your training on a full-time basis, usually 6 weeks Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm
You can find out more about what it’s like being a Customer Service Advisor at HMRC on the Civil Service Careers website.
Watch these videos to find out more about Customer Service roles at HMRC:
Our Professions – Customer Service Advisor at HMRC
Our Professions – Customer Services Group at HMRC
Our Customer Service Advisor role - all you need to knowPerson specification
What are we looking for?
No experience is necessary as you will be fully trained, but we would like you to be comfortable talking on the phone and writing up notes as this is mainly a phone-based role.
We are looking for individuals with the drive and passion to make a difference to people’s lives, and need people:
- with great communication skills, both verbal and written in English language (and Welsh where required)
- dedicated to providing a brilliant customer service
- with a can-do attitude and a real passion for supporting people
- with the personal resilience to work in a demanding and rewarding environment
- able to provide information both quickly and clearly
- comfortable handling different types of conversations
- with an ability to do basic maths calculations
As well as competitive salaries and a generous annual leave entitlement, we offer a substantial package of benefits including:
• Excellent training and career progression
• Competitive pensions
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
Find more about HMRC benefits in 'Your little extras and big benefits handbook' for further information or visit Thinking of joining the Civil Service.
HMRC are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services
Less than 1 year