Within FIS a variety of threats are targeted, including complex offshore evasion, international smuggling of illicit excise goods, enforcement of export controls and sanctions, labour market abuses, VAT and Self-Assessment repayment frauds and a host of other fraud attacks targeted at the tax system. FIS deploy the full range of powers and approaches to protect funding for UK public services, including arrests and interviews, surveillance and undercover operations, communications interception and financial recovery; The ability to tackle serious fraud plays an important part in building trust in the compliant majority and reinforces the Department`s fair and even-handed approach.
Investigation Services brings mainstream and highly specialist capabilities together to enhance and support the full range of criminal, civil and regulatory investigations into serious tax fraud and money laundering undertaken in FIS.
We are looking for a strong leader with the vision and energy to manage with confidence in a professional service delivery role that guarantees an effective Investigation Services now and for the future.Job description
- As the successful candidate you will be responsible for ensuring that Investigation Services successfully utilises approx. 700 FTE of varying professions, skills and expertise to deliver a trusted high-quality service.
- FIS delivery of key business targets relies on the availability of specific services, which will be delivered under your leadership. Strong engagement across the FIS Senior Leadership Team, and with wider HMRC and external partners (including private sector providers) will be a key element in driving this forward.
- As a leader, you will be accountable for ensuring that delivery happens within expected timeframes, which often change at short notice due to completing demands.
- Some services are required to be delivered to evidential casework standards. Attention to detail is key to this role to ensure the teams you lead are compliant with relevant legislation.
- You will be also be responsible for improving capability across Investigation Services, expanding and developing the service provision in line with changing demand and evolving technology.
- You will be accountable for the management of significant budgets, IT licenses and commercial contracts which ensure the delivery of specialist services. Successful workforce planning and sound judgement will be needed to ensure value for money and that available resources meet prioritised demand.
- You will need to maintain a high level of understanding of the technical work of specialist teams such as data analysis, intelligence analysis and forensic accountancy. This is essential for stakeholder engagement as well as leading with credibility. It will be important that you build and maintain excellent relationships with HMRC professional leads to ensure that best practice is shared and skills remain up to date.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire to get the best from people.
- FIS is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and supportive environment for all colleagues, where HMRC values, behaviours and commitments are demonstrated at every level of the organisation. The successful candidate will play an integral role in ensuring all colleagues feel valued and respected at work; role modelling the behaviours that enable this.
- We are looking for s you to demonstrate significant experience of working collaboratively with a range of key stakeholders and service providers to inform, support and deliver business needs, both internally and externally.
- A proven track record of successfully leading large geographically disparate teams within an operational service delivery environment.
- Excellent leadership and influencing skills to engage confidently in a wide range of situations and develop senior stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally.
- Commercial acumen in order to successfully manage budgets, contracts, and workforce planning.
- An ability to prioritise inclusion and development of teams by setting out clearly and effectively the culture and expectations around how teams will work within the command in line with HMRC’s values and commitments.
- Whilst not essential, it would be desirable to have a working knowledge of criminal justice, civil investigations or regulatory investigations as either a Counter Fraud or Tax Professional.
- Experience of leading specialist capability and skills such as accountancy, intelligence analysis and data analytics. Whilst not essential, the ability to quickly understand these specialisms and how they support effective business delivery in a compliance context will be needed in this role.
Whatever your role, we take your career and development seriously, and want to enable you to build a successful career with the department and wider Civil Service.
It is crucial that our employees have the right skills to develop their careers and meet the challenges ahead, and you’ll benefit from regular performance and development reviews to ensure this development is ongoing.
As a Civil Service employee, you’ll be entitled to a large range of benefits.
- 25 days annual leave on entry, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years’ service. This is in addition to your public holidays.
- This will be complemented by one further day paid privilege entitlement to mark the King’s Birthday.
- Interest-free loans allowing you to spread the cost of an annual travel season ticket or a new bicycle.
- A competitive contributory pension scheme that you can enter as soon as you join and where we will make a significant contribution to the cost of your pension. Your contribution comes out of your salary before any tax is taken and will continue to provide valuable benefits for you and your family if you are too ill to continue to work or die before you retire.
- Flexible working patterns and access to Flexible Working Schemes allowing you to vary your working day as long as you work your total hours.
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave which is notably more than the statutory minimum offered by many other employers.
- Use of onsite facilities (where applicable).
- Occupational sick pay.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services