As part of Accounting Operations, the Tax Accounts team play a crucial role in providing both Financial and Management information across all areas of HMRC. We accounted for over £814 billion of tax revenue in 2022-23.
The team has responsibility for production and assurance of all HMRC Tax Accounts. These include the Trust Statement (TS), National Insurance Fund (NIF) accounts for Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI), the Isle of Man (IoM) accounts, the Whole of Government Accounts (WGA), monthly in-year tax management accounts, and the financial statements for the European Commission.
See what it’s like to work at HMRC: find out more about us or ask our colleagues a question. Questions relating to an individual application must be emailed as detailed later in this advert.
Reporting to the Senior Financial Accountant, as a Financial Accountant looking to further develop their career you will:
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to represent the interests of the Tax Accounts team around general ledger upgrade and migration.
- Lead a small established team to maintain existing policies and resolve queries around our Tax Accounting Policy Framework.
This role provides the successful candidate with the opportunity to actively participate on transformation projects and lead our established policy team and includes:
- Working with CDIO (Chief Digital and Information Officer Group) and FSD (Financial Systems Design) to design delivery schedules of systems development and migration.
- Assuring that general ledger system upgrades and migration achieve their objectives and liaise with CDIO and FSD to ensure any remedial work required is identified for resolution by the appropriate area.
- Designing and implementing internal system controls (both preventative and detective) to provide quality assurance over financial data.
- Training and supporting finance team members in the use of financial systems and procedures.
- Working with Transformation teams to ensure the Tax Accounts teams interests are safeguarded during times of change.
- Leading our experienced Tax Accounting Policy team to answer queries and to maintain our Policy Framework to protect the accuracy and integrity of HMRC’s Accounts.
- Qualified through one of the following six bodies, or studying towards such a qualification (note consideration will be made to those who are committed to studying and expect to complete the qualification within the next 2 years):
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI).
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS).
- Working knowledge of accounting standards.
- Experience of modern financial systems.
- Strong communication and report writing skills with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Experience of accounts preparation and dealing with auditors.
- Public sector finance experience.
- Experience working in both project and Business As Usual (BAU) environments.
-Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
-Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
-Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).
-Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
-Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI).
-Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS). Behaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role.
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options, please note that the Stratford Regional Centre was awarded the ‘Inclusive Environments Recognition’ by the Construction Industry Council (CIC) for creating accessible and inclusive environments.
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity.
- Generous annual leave entitlement of 25 - 30 days (depending on qualifying service) plus public holidays and privilege leave.
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- A hybrid smarter working environment, the current requirement is 40% (but will be increasing to 60%) of your available working time to be spent in the office. Contractual Home Workers are welcome to apply, the role does require ad hoc office attendance, should applicants wish to discuss this requirement further, please do reach out to the vacancy holder listed below.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Accountancy