Advance Logistics Support specialise in the supply and recruitment of quality drivers, transport and logistics personnel. We pride ourselves on our honesty, integrity, industry knowledge, experience and look for candidates that understand and believe in our values so in turn will be an asset to our customers…
We have an excellent opportunity with our client based in Biggleswade for a Transport Manager, to become part of their operation, committed to providing a first class service to our customers.
Scope and Purpose of the Role
To manage and support the transport operation which ensures the integrity of our customers and their service requirements, whilst managing the commercial aspects of a transport operation which meets legal compliance, profit, service and quality targets ensuring goods reach their destinations safely, on time and in the most cost effective way whilst maintaining the highest standards of Health & Safety.
You will be well organised and have a good head for figures and the ability to work with people at all levels.
Key Duties and Accountabilities (will include but not be limited to)
- Allocating and managing staff resources according to changing needs of the operation with the ability to provide adequate cover at a planning level;
- Ensure effective and efficient use of driver and vehicle resources.
- Ensuring customer requirements are administered in a timely, controlled and recorded manner within the transport operation.
- Consider the operational movements in the context of the Bibby network and seek opportunities to reduce empty running and improve efficiency.
- Complete periodic reviews of the delivery schedule in line with all customers strategic changes.
- Ensure all fleet assets are serviced and make sure they have MOT in line with requirements and all paperwork and systems updated in a timely manner.
- Develop business by gaining new contracts, analysing logistical problems and producing new solutions.
- Analysing data to monitor performance and plan improvements.
- Promote effective and efficient standards of work, in order to comply with UK and EU laws and regulations and Health & Safety legislation.
- Uphold highest standards of Health & Safety ensuring all inductions and regular training is completed and logged.
- Ensure the transport planning operations are in line with budgeted costs and achieve all contractual KPI’s
- Preparing and submitting various KPI reports.
- Be proactive in achieving improved fuel efficiency and better MPG.
- Manage tacho-graph infringements to full compliance.
- Ensure all aspects of maintenance (tyre checks, servicing, MOT etc.,) is compliant to the maintenance manual and the law.
- Complete accident reports and be able to update risk assessments, contributing to a positive safety culture.
- Support the personal development of all people employed on the contract.Carry out performance reviews with the operational management team identifying training needs.
- Create an effective working environment building a diverse, well balanced team.
- To ensure all sub-contractors and suppliers are authorised and provide the most cost effective operational solution.
- Create a positive working environment with a culture of continuous improvement and exceeding customer expectations by supporting with CI and new business wins outside prime work location.
- Manage and develop new business.
- Investigate all personal and vehicle accidents in line with Company procedures.
- Be responsible for driver recruitment, training and retention.
Key Experience and Qualifications:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Driver Hours and WTD regulations
- Good financial experience of running a transport operation.
- Ability to manage and lead people.
- Previous Management experience either in logistics or other similar field.
- Experience of working within the transport industry
- Good understanding of Transport Regulations.
Technical skills and behavioural competencies:
- Strong organisational skills for planning schedules and loads.
- Excellent budget handling skills
- Good geographical knowledge
- Ability to think logically
- Ability to work flexibly and make decisions quickly
- Good leadership and motivational skills
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to deal with people at all levels.
- Good spoken and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
Transport office experience required.