Electrical Engineer - Portsmouth - 6 months - £38ph LTD (Other Payment Methods Available)
This role will requires you to obtain a BPSS clearance prior to starting. If you cannot achieve this, you cannot apply for the role.
BAE Systems have a package of work set to start in stages between December 2020 and February 2021. They require 30 Electrical Engineers in total for this project, which will be on boarded throughout the months listed. In preparation, they are seeking applicants for this role with interviews between September and October. If offered, candidates will be BPSS cleared. Then between December and February once work is available, 4-5 weeks' notice of being required to start will be given.
The role is a varied one requiring an all-round Engineer. This is not a role for Electrical Designers or purely draughtsman. The successful candidates will be able to create designs, but most of the work will be interpretation, adaptation and implementation of designs that have been conceived by the design team elsewhere. The manager as described the role as suitable for "an engineer who can draw". BAE Systems operate Engineering services at Portsmouth Naval Base on the maintenance and refit (and some build) for the Royal Navy/ MOD Surface Ships, otherwise known as Maritime Services. You would be expected to apply your knowledge to a range of tasks on the ships.
- Operate within the functionality of the appropriate tools and techniques as directed by his/her supervisor.
- Produce and develop designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out detail design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained, taking due cognisance of Designing for Production.
- Carry out investigations into operational problems or developments, develop, and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a team.
- Support the development of best practice to increase the capability, performance of tools and processes
- To identify personal training requirements, skills gaps and development requirements in own discipline.
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas, develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide more effective services (seeking and sharing good practice and knowledge to continuously improve practices), and supply technical support and expertise to others as required.
- Conduct ship trials and surveys
- Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development.
- Be cognisant of assigned budgets.
- Advise/instruct apprentices and trainees of similar discipline in the technical content of work.
- Answer technical queries about his/her own work and that of subordinates within their level of knowledge and competency.
- May be required to be the lead designer on a project and coordinate the input of a team of designers; provides advice and guidance to others within the same team or same discipline area.
- Job requires ability to make judgments to meet exacting specifications and requirements. Judgement based on previous experiences.
- Be able to provide information that will be analysed and used by others to deliver the solution.
- Carry out calculations to determine engineering outputs relevant to own discipline.
- Accountable for the quality and delivery of own work schedule and on occasion carries supervisory accountability for the work output of an engineering team
- Has an impact on the activities and effectiveness of developments associated with own team and technical discipline plus other teams and technical disciplines within Design Services when collaborating on a task.
Qualifications and Knowledge Needed
- Recent and relevant experience in either: Maritime and Marine Environments (Defence or Military Shipping OR Commercial Shipping OR Submarines), Offshore Oil and Gas and in some cases Subsea work.
- Having worked on previous BAE Systems or MOD projects before at a marine site is extremely beneficial.
- Experience with Foran is beneficial but not essential.
Requires strong communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills. Typically communication will be internally focused but may include limited communication and interface with external contacts and customers. Is required to influence, guide and convince others to adopt a particular course of action.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.