HM Revenue & Customs
HMRC is the UK's tax, payments and customs authority, and we have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for our public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support!
Making Tax Digital (MTD)
The Making Tax Digital (MTD) programme is at the heart of HMRC’s transformation agenda and is one of our highest priorities. MTD is owning the way in the delivery of modern services for customers which will change how millions of businesses and landlords interact with the tax system.
You will be joining a lively team led by the Senior Finance Business Partner (SFBP) and one other Finance Business Partner (FBP) in a dynamic and exciting environment with a remit to provide a professional finance service to support the running of the programme. Working with the programme, Senior Leadership Team and other partners you will ensure sound financial management, planning and budgetary control of the programme’s spending.
Your role as Finance Business Partner is equally about leadership, relationship and information management as it is financial technical skills. You add value by accessing expertise and trusted data quickly and readily and placing it in the context of the programme’s plans. By combining the professional technical knowledge with an understanding of the programme’s strategic goals, future plans and immediate performance and financial issues and risks, you would greatly improve the quality of decision making.
Your main duties and responsibilities are:
- Providing cohesive and effective leadership of a respected finance function.
- Building and maintaining a deep understanding of the programme, drivers of spend, the plans, priorities and funding requirements.
- Helping to develop the programme business case for each new spending review period and financial plans to secure funding and delegated authority.
- Using historical information and technical expertise to provide innovative financial input to support investment decisions.
- Ensuring business case plans are balanced effectively with resources and risk is embedded as an integral part.
- Work flexibly with your team, ensuring an effective financial control regime and assuring the production of monthly and ad hoc reports which accurately reflect performance.
- Helping to protect the programme by making sure decisions are within delegated authorities.
- Coordinating delivery of functional finance activity so the needs of the programme and wider business are met and acting as an entry point for the programme to access specialist finance support.
- Act as a financial mentor to the Business - improving financial and commercial capability, driving a VFM culture, and championing continuous improvement and risk management.
- Providing commercial insight i.e. use understanding of the cost-drivers within the programme and use this to drive value for money, deploying an understanding of commercial and contractual practice.
- Working in partnership with the other key partners e.g. CDIO, Commercial and HR to help delivers plans.
- Working in collaboration with HMRC Business Group to supervise and review their programme related cost requirements.
- Providing assurance of HMRC Business Group actual spend and forecast cost requirements.
- Collaborating with key partners to ensure MTD delivery plans are accurately impacted within HMRC Business Group resource plans.
- A CCAB qualified accountant or equivalent or be willing to work towards a finance qualification.
- Proven experience of leading in a financial management role preferably within project/programme.
- Be comfortable working with multiple partners with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable evidence of working collaboratively and building positive relationships across business groups within a complex and politically critical environment.
- Evidence of the ability to quickly grasp issues around a range of sophisticated and exciting products and services and to work effectively and influence around this with key partners.
- Customer facing business partnering experience.
- Senior stakeholder engagement and ability to influence decision making.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
Only relevant and suitable candidates will be contacted