A Data Manager based in our head offices in Swindon, South West England or in our London office in Threadneedle Street.
Nationwide is committed to providing equality of opportunity in employment, and to developing work practices and policies that support work-life balance. As such we welcome applications from those looking for flexible working.
What you’ll be doing
This is a varied role working at the heart of Nationwide’s Finance function. You will be working on the implementation of models and regulatory reporting covering Treasury Risks and Financial Reporting as well as ensuring the systems they are built on remain fit for the future.
You’ll help, develop and improve the way we report across Finance, building confidence in the reported results. You will act as a technical lead on projects, develop functionality and drive efficiencies to ensure Nationwide keeps pace with a constantly changing business landscape. You may also be expected to line manage more junior team members and assist them in developing their programming skills.
This role is an opportunity to build systems and reporting tools which are key to business decisions taken within the community as well as lead on activities like migration of software. It’s also a fantastic opportunity to gain an in-depth knowledge of both technology and risk management.
You’ll work closely with the teams in Treasury and Finance to support the growth and development of our business through both project activity, as well as focusing on developing and improving our financial and regulatory reporting.
This role is a great way to gain exposure to Nationwide. In short, this position places you at the centre of the key drivers of our business, giving visibility of both the customer and funding elements of our business, as well as exposing you to diverse teams across both Treasury and Finance.
This role would be ideal for someone who is keen to apply their programming skills in a financial environment and likes to get a deep understanding of a problem and come up with creative but practical solutions.
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum degree level education (or equivalent level experience) in a relevant subject (such as Finance, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or Economics)
- Robust programming experience with tools such as S+/R, C/C++, SQL, VBA, Python or SAS
- A track record of taking a logical approach to understand an existing system or model and explain how it works
- Experienced working with large and complex datasets such as account or customer level information
- Experienced in architectural design, implementation, consulting and leading on project deliverables.
- Base/Advanced SAS certification would be beneficial but not essential.
- Knowledge of data modelling to support BI tooling, such as Qlik would also be desirable.
We will also be looking for:
- strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly communicate complex issues succinct and simple way
- a collaborative approach and the ability to manage stakeholders across the business
- the ability to manage a small team of developers/programmers
- a willingness and aptitude to take the initiative and proactively offer solutions to problems.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.