HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
This is an exciting time to join an organisation that probably doesn’t work how you’d imagine a government organisation would. Our blog tells you a bit more about what we do and how we do it! here
We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets and smartphones therefore we are building a team of outstanding people who will create and run these new and improved technology services.
This role sits within HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
The team is called The Chief Data Office (CDO) and we work with teams across HMRC to ensure that the organisation exploits its data to maximise revenues and to transform tax and payments.
At HMRC, we influence all aspects of society: in addition to the collection of tax and the payment of benefits and tax credits, HMRC plays a major role in supporting key Governments objectives, such as responding to the COVID-19 crisis, tackling child poverty and supporting business growth.
As the Head of Data Science Services you will be a Data Science or Analytics professional with the ability to bring together leadership and hands on technical expertise. You will be one of 3 Team Leads and will be joining a wider highly skilled 60+ person team at an important juncture.
At Data Science Services we work across data science disciplines delivering customised solutions and supporting wider data science community. We use Data Studios’ agile PM methodology, and cross team co-operation to deliver proof-of-concepts and focus on data lead innovation.
You will lead a diverse team, develop their capabilities and deliver a variety of services alongside influencing senior individuals and work multi-functionally with wider Digital Group raising the profile of data science and ensure its application to decision making.
You will be accountable for providing technical authority and insight for data science specialisms and will lead complex data science solutions and projects, taking ownership for delivering to time, identifying and mitigating risks and developing contingencies, raising issues when required.
The job holder will ensure team’s delivery across all projects and programmes including digital, advance analytics and exploitation as well as Developer and backend development.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit:
• Lead the development and growth of Data Science Services team
• Direct the build of credible data science solutions and models and use best coding practices to generate reproducible work supporting the team as well as wider business objectives
• Ensure implementation of the data science ethics guidelines and ensure alignment across the team
• Support and guide the team to explore and visualise the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way, and to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
• Use an evolving range of data analysis tools and techniques, including open source
• Constantly seek to expand a range of own technical skills as well as the skills of the team
• Champion the use of Data Science throughout HMRC, helping others and building the community.
• A recognised authority on a number of data science and analytical specialisms, preferably applicable within government, with knowledge of ground breaking techniques
• Proven experience of influencing Senior Leaders, working collaboratively with other Customer Groups and champion the value of data science
• Able to use a wide range of data science tools, techniques and programs to practitioner or specialist level with extensive experience of applied data science and or advance analytics
• A strong leader with the ability to lead a large team and bring diverse skill sets together including leading and championing continual capabilities' development, across your teams and wider across
• Experience of delivering quality outcomes at pace, providing clarity on priorities and allocating resources
• Programming experience (R, Python, Java, SQL, SAS or similar)
Whilst we are seeking a person with the skills and expertise to offer support across the range of data science services we offer, the primary focus of this role will be to lead and grow the data science service including support our work in advanced analytics and exploitation and our developer and data back-end operations.
No specific academic qualifications are essential for this post but a degree or equivalent in a Computer Science or Stats related subject area would be desirable.
If you chose Manchester as your preferred location, travel to Shipley/Leeds Regional Centre will be required. Under COVID-19 guidelines, travel will resume when it is safe to do so.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process: