Are you a Systems Engineering professional seeking an exciting and challenging role?
The SSNR Programme is an early-stage design programme to develop and deliver a class of Attack Submarines to replace the Astute class as they reach the end of their design lives.
The programme team is currently engaged in a 3 year initial design phase, working with the BAE Systems shipyard in Barrow and wider UK industrial partners to build on existing and future UK Submarine technologies, and define the design of a class of Submarine that will be in service until the late 2080's.
The team are based in Bristol but this role will require significant interaction with the UK Submarine supply chain as well as teams supporting classes of Submarine presently in-build and in-service.
We are now looking for a Combat Systems Engineering System Owner (ESO) to lead the Combat System architecture definition and design.
As the Engineering System Owner (ESO) you will work with the Project Chief Engineer (PCE), and be expected to liaise with engineers and programme managers in the Combat Systems Delivery Team, MOD (Ministry Of Defence) equipment teams, capability sponsors and with key industry partners, to ensure a coherent approach to the development of the CS architecture.
You will work as part of Integrated Team of SDA (Submarine Delivery Agency) and Industry which has been established to oversee the development and execution of a coherent plan for the delivery of the SSN(R) Combat System.
The Combat System is one of the key elements of Submarine Operational capability and the successful incumbent will need to be able to demonstrate an understanding of complex systems engineering within the wider context of industrial capabilities, and relationships and future developments.
This will be both a challenging and rewarding role, with lots of opportunities to develop your knowledge, and to have a substantial impact on an extremely exciting and high-profile programme.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this role is open to applications from SOLE UK NATIONALS only.
As the lead Combat Systems engineer you will have deep experience ideally in Engineering, Controls and Data Processing environment, having been the architect of new systems or have extensive experience in designing / redesigning high-integrity control systems for high value assets.
This experience will ideally have been gained in a Military Combat systems environment but may have been gained in the Shipping industry, Aviation or Petrochemical environment.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
* Development, maintenance and delivery of the Combat System Management Plan interacting with other functions to ensure coherent planning.
* Experience of providing technical advice at a senior level and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes in multidisciplinary projects.
* Operational direction and delivery of engineering activity in area of responsibility as defined in the assignment specification or objectives.
* Provide technical leadership related to own specialist area to solve complex problems with innovative solutions to support improved performance and enhance capability.
* Interface with industry as the intelligent customer on projects and help DE&S and industry understand technical risks.
* Provide governance, assurance and advice on complex projects and portfolios in own area of expertise to guide and influence senior leaders, scientists and decision makers.
* Likely to hold Safety Responsibilities (SSR or SR).
* As the ESO you will be expected to liaise with engineers and programme managers Combat Systems Delivery Team.
What you will be assessed against
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer OR able to achieve this within 6 months of being in the post.
* Member of a relevant Professional Engineering/Science Institute OR equivalent body.
* Relevant Level 6 e.g. BEng (or higher) qualification OR equivalent experience in a Systems Engineering environment.
* Wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering approaches.
* Demonstrable experience in setting client specifications in collaboration with suppliers and prime contractors.
* Prior, demonstrable experience as a system architect, working from first principles, or experience in supporting, fault-finding or redesigning high-integrity control systems.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Previous experience of maritime or submarine combat system acquisition would be beneficial, with familiarity of the UK Submarine Enterprise and a technical background.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
* Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
* Communicating and influencing
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.