Position Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Department: Lab Administration
Reports to (Title): Lab Manager/Regional Vice President, Operations
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Manages activities in a veterinary diagnostic reference laboratory, with responsibility for achieving revenue and profitability goals. Manages staff, assigning work and evaluating results. Leads the development of laboratory budget, operating policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential function. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages activities in a diagnostic reference laboratory, with responsibility for achieving timeline for reporting results to client, revenue and profitability goals.
- Manages staff, assigning work, establishing performance metrics, monitoring activities and evaluating performance. Resolves escalated issues.
- Administers employment actions, provides coaching and guidance to staff and promotes staff training and development. Ensures staff are properly trained and adheres to SOP’s.
- Leads the development of laboratory budget, policies and procedures. Ensures production standards and laboratory goals are maintained.
- Leads work activities of the laboratory, planning and organizing work, providing for adequate staffing and resources and maintaining work on schedule so that ongoing client satisfaction is maintained.
- Communicates with other related departments to coordinate work and resolve issues as needed.
- Leads maintenance of laboratory diagnostic equipment and other technical resources.
- Coordinates with internal personnel, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues and maintain ongoing functionality. Communicates procedural changes to supervisory staff.
- Provides customer feedback to product development, sales and other areas to improve product quality and features and enhance the client experience.
- Participates in various related committees and project teams as needed. Visits clients and performs other related activities in support of sales and marketing efforts.
- Prepares reports, presentations and other information summarizing work activities. Prepares various analyses as needed to highlight issues and resolve questions.
- Prepares and delivers regular general management business reviews to summarize laboratory financial performance, turnaround times, instrument downtime, productivity, quality and other performance metrics.
- Manages laboratory health and safety activities. Administers safety program, reports injuries and accidents and ensure ongoing Employee health and safety.
- Leads/participates in process improvement activities to enhance laboratory operations, coordinating with related Company departments as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of changes and developments in the industry affecting work activities. May participate in outside industry groups and forums related to business activities.
- Assist with bench tech duties as needed with familiarity in Processing, Parasitology, Serology, Hematology, Urinalysis, and Clinical Chemistry.
- Ensures quality of testing under the guidelines of Quality Assurance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- We share a collaborative obligation to ensure that we conduct ourselves in the utmost ethical manner and that we hold each other accountable to the values and standards of the organization. Every employee has the responsibility to ask questions, seek guidance, and report concerns and/or violations of company policy or ethical standards. Antech Diagnostics has several processes in place to communicate with leadership and expects that employees will have a commitment to integrity and uncompromising values.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology/Science (MT or MLT) or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 5years general clinical laboratory supervisory experience in the areas of Chemistry, Hematology, Parasitology, Hematology, Coagulation, Serology, and Urinalysis.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to organize, prioritize and direct work activities.
- Experience with laboratory operations, testing and services, including setting up, reading and releasing test results and troubleshooting equipment.
- Experience in a high volume environment managing work flows.
- Process/operational improvement skills and ability.
- Reasoning and analytical skills to resolve issues.
- Contact with clients will be required, good customer service skills are important. In addition, interaction with purchasing and manufacturing or technical representatives may be required.
- Independent and self-directed requiring minimal day to day supervision
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers
- Occasionally required to bend, kneel, stoop, or crouch
- May be required to lift, move, and carry up to 20 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing ability to effectively communicate via the telephone and in person
- Ability to communicate verbally on the phone and in person
- Fluency in the English language
- Extended hours may be needed
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present
- Use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards
- A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision