Cyber Security Technical Services (CSTS) is an integral part of CSIR. Our vision is to be a recognised Centre of Excellence working collaboratively to deliver a holistic, customer-centric set of services. We continually adapt and evolve to emerging technologies, the ever-changing threat and risk landscape to meet HMRC/HMG business needs.
Our team comprises of cyber professionals, with a range of experience and skills across security architecture, risk, assurance, testing and consultancy.
We are expanding and looking for Principal Cyber Security Professionals to build and shape the security team in one of the largest IT estates in Europe.
This is an exciting time to be part of our active and encouraging cyber security community, within HMRC and across Government.The Role
As a Principal Cyber Security Professional, you will play a leading role in securing HMRC’s services, working to the Deputy Director, to ensure the best possible technical security risk-based advice is given to our customers.
You will work collaboratively with senior business & technical stakeholders, to deliver appropriate risk based technical security advice and guidance, to enable the secure delivery of HMRC solutions and services. You will be the security champion for major HMRC programmes, leading security teams as appropriate.
You will be integral to the Senior Leadership Team, establishing our strategy and steering plans to deliver. You will engage at a strategic level within the business and drive organisational objectives. You will influence policy and lead on technical and business change.
You will be assigned as a Capability Lead for Security Testing where you will be responsible for defining, building and managing the security testing capability. This will involve but not be limited to being responsible for the technical security testing strategy for functional and non-functional security testing, penetration testing, ongoing vulnerability management of the estate, developing the team’s skills required to support the capability, tooling, and plan risk-based mitigation actions.
The ideal candidate will be:
• A leader in the delivery and development of a Security Testing Capability and expertise of the wider team and drive the learning & development strategy for this.
• A leader in managing key partners on major programmes, working with Programme Leaders and Governance Boards.
• Able to demonstrate a proven history of delivering high value outcomes in challenging environments.
• Flexible to meet business needs and champion consistency across our business in support of our “one team” ethos.
• Always clear and honest when communicating, sharing knowledge and skills to build consistency and excellence in our work, aiming to achieve great results.
• A security testing subject matter expert, able to identify, raise and escalate cyber risks for the business and influence appropriate decisions in keeping with the HMRC risk appetite.
You will have significant experience or knowledge of:
• Managing effective relationships with senior partners, effective team engagement and strong leadership.
• Extensive experience as either a senior penetration tester or managing a security testing team.
• Proven successful delivery of security aspects of major projects and demonstrable professional credibility and authority having been within a key security role working on large projects.
• Sharing knowledge, advising and training colleagues.
• Experience ensuring effective governance controls in a complex business environment and maintaining supplier/customer relationship management.
• Demonstrable experience designing & delivering technical security & risk management aligned to corporate risk appetite across several enterprises.
• Communicating effectively to technical and non-technical audiences at all levels using excellent written and verbal skills.
• Ability to demonstrate a deep knowledge of security and privacy risks and threats along with a solid grasp of key technical considerations in relation to confidentiality, availability, integrity, non-repudiation and privacy.
• Proven professional experience of how technical security is applied in real life, large scale complex environments.Desirable Criteria
Ideally, you will also have experience of:
• Leading multi-disciplinary security teams and building strong relationships across team/business area/ departmental/ boundaries.
• Deep knowledge of penetration testing skills and requirements.
• Proven experience in developing security testing capability within a large organisation, including empowering, supporting and developing staff to achieve the highest performance standards.
• Applied knowledge of security architectures, operating systems & networking architectures, technologies & the OSI Model.
• Strong working knowledge of Cloud Security & Risk applied to all service models.
• Deep knowledge of multiple security domains and disciplines including Cyber, Physical, Personnel, Process, Policy, Privacy, Law & GDPR.
• Working knowledge of appropriate ISO standards including 27001, 27002, 27005, 270017, 27018, 22301.
• Good working knowledge of Cryptography including symmetric & asymmetric encryption systems, infrastructure, risks, weaknesses and mitigations.
• CREST/TIGER/CHECK or similar equivalent penetration testing qualification.