This is an exciting time to join HMRC as we continue our journey to become one of the most digitally sophisticated tax authorities in the world! To achieve our ambition, we are investing in ground-breaking initiatives and programmes to transform our tax systems, create a dynamic organisation with a culture that focuses on and significantly invests in the continual development of our people. This role based in Corporate Finance, will be a key part of this transformation, responsible for leading a fast-pace team focussed on ensuring that these programmes are fit for purpose, and meet our high accounting and process standards.
ABOUT CORPORATE FINANCE
Corporate Finance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data. Our activity helps HMRC account excellently for everything HMRC does. This is a senior supervisory role in the Finance Systems Design (FSD) team that is part of the Systems and Processes team within Corporate Finance – Finance Operations. Our team is responsible for the delivery of robust finance systems that are effective, and we play a key role in supporting the finance community in using its IT finance infrastructure. We work with IT partners to ensure that finance systems are optimally designed to be effective and efficient; looking at customer demand and technology to identify how to exploit our financial systems. The Senior Systems Accountant role provides a unique opportunity to engage with and influence finance technology across all HMRC. The role will require innovative thought and specialist knowledge in finance IT systems to identify solutions to complex problems by analysis of the whole business strategy and requirements, together with recommended solutions.
This role is pivotal in leading the in-house upskilling of Systems Accountants and improving technical support delivered to HMRC Finance Community customers. Responsibilities will include:
• Providing financial systems technical expertise to Programme and Project leads.
• Leading collaboration with business and IT partners on the simplification, automation, exploitation and innovation of finance technology solutions.
• Developing and maintaining the finance IT system blueprints to show how systems, data and processes interact.
• Finding opportunities for continuous improvement in the finance technology, and support its delivery.
• Leading and mentoring a small team of System Accountants and System Analysts with a firm dedication to team building, staff development, building capability and improving staff engagement.
• Communicating with a wide range of people particularly IT partners and senior customers across the wider HMRC department and OGDs.
• Being a proactive and engaged member of the Finance Systems Design Senior Leadership Team and the Systems and Processes Seniors Leadership Team.
The role offers the platform to showcase your leadership skills; working directly to the Head of Finance Systems Design, with direct management of up to 5 staff members and a team of up to 8 staff from Officer to Senior Officer.
Who we are looking for?
To be successful in this role you'll be a confident manager and finance professional with excellent communication and collaboration skills as well as utilise your strong technical accounting and leadership abilities.
You'll develop strong technical knowledge of all finance and tax systems and processes. In addition, they will need to develop a good understanding of HMRC finance technology and its application to HMRC.
We are interested in applicants who are proven in the following areas:
• Experience working on complex business requirements, can think strategically and see the bigger picture.
• Experience in collaborating and influencing senior partners in a forward thinking environment with competing priorities.
• Demonstrate excellent people management skills, promoting civil service and HMRC values, and addressing development needs in self and others.
• Ambition and passion to acquire strong financial and technical IT skills and to apply these to deliver technical support and continuous improvement.
• It is important that applicants can work flexibly, learn quickly, adapt to changing priorities and be comfortable working with ambiguity in a dynamic environment.
• Experience of working within the finance function of a large and complex organisation, possessing the aptitude to apply financial knowledge to support and deliver improvements to finance systems.
• Good knowledge and experience of delivering IT Finance Systems improvements on a complex ERP system eg SAP, Oracle or similar financial system with the desire to enhance your technical IT capabilities.
• Strong organisation skills and experience and able to manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced working environment.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts and influence a broad range of partners.
• Strong supervisory skills with the ability to lead a team and build relationships with a diverse range of working partners.
Your qualifications should include:
• Fully qualified accountant with a recognised member of the CCAB
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong SAP or other finance IT skills/qualifications.
• Proven judgement and an ability to think both tactically and strategically.
• Highly motivated and self-driven.
• Excellent team leader who can work collaboratively with customers and partners to achieve HMRCs goals.
Fully qualified accountant with a recognised member of the CCAB.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Changing and Improving
• Learning and development tailored to your role • An environment with flexible working options • A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity • A Civil Service pension