Brief Description of job role and department
This role is reflective of the Council's Ambitious corporate plan and of the Mayor for London's Transport Strategy, via the Council's Climate Emergency Response? Environment Strategy, Sustainable Transport Strategy and Local Implementation Plan (LIP). The Council aims to deliver the projects described above for the local community to:
- Tackle road traffic congestion
- Provide sustainable transport alternatives to the car
- Support walking, cycling and public transport
- Improve the local environment and the quality of life for residents
- Support local businesses
- Provide full and meaningful consultation
- Deliver solution designs having listened to the stakeholders
The Programme Manager will be responsible for the overall management and coordination of discrete projects and the overall programme, by effectively planning, monitoring and supporting the delivery of all elements, working to and advising the Programme Sponsor on innovative approaches to delivering services, and in partnership with Assistant Directors, Councillors, Heads of Service, consultants, service managers and officers, as well as Customer Services, OD, HR, Communications and Engagement, Legal and Finance colleagues. They will lead, manage and deliver specific, complex and sensitive projects with responsibility for delivering agreed outcomes and for allocating resources within an agreed budget. They will be responsible for drafting and coordinating the necessary Committee reports and processes.
To make an active and positive contribution to the Council's strategic plans and policies in relation to delivering this special highways programme, as well as working across cross cutting areas collaboratively as a member of the Highways, Transport & Regulatory Service Management Team.
Lead on the development of specific policies and procedures to contribute to the continuous improvement in own work area.
Deliver advice and guidance on the most complex matters in own area of expertise to ensure customer needs are met.
Where relevant co-ordinate the work of a team, either formally or as part of a project/programme to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered.
- Plan, manage and deliver specific projects within programmes, often of a highly complex and sensitive nature, by allocating resources within an agreed budget, managing project teams of up to 3 people, taking decisions to ensure the delivery of agreed outcomes, and ensuring effective dialogue with and between senior officers and other stakeholders. Specific accountabilities
- Lead, and liaise with, a multidisciplinary Project Team, to ensure the programme is delivered effectively, and (inter)dependencies are recognised and managed.
- Effectively plan, manage and coordinate discrete programmes, by developing and maintaining (or overseeing maintenance of) a project / programme plan, risk register, benefit tracker and savings forecast, as well as documentation for discrete elements, such as Committee reports, detailed project plans and business cases as required.
- Monitor and report on progress against all aspects of the project / programme through regular and bespoke reports to the Sponsor, Directorate Management Teams, Programme Boards and other forums, as well as identification and management of risks and dependencies across the Council and partners
- Rapidly develop understanding of challenges and best practice within service areas new to the role holder in order to become a credible advisor to the Sponsor, Directorate Management Team and other senior managers.
- To use fine-tuned judgement, as well as own experience of and insights into innovative new approaches of delivering services, to influence and persuade a wide range of stakeholders to pursue desired courses of action that will enhance services and deliver corporate goals. For example this may involve working in collaboration with and influencing Councillors, the Corporate Management Team, Assistant Directors, local communities, voluntary and business organisations and other external agencies.
- Develop clear, well-evidenced recommendations to inform and influence strategic decisions in order to deliver corporate goals, considering the impact on specific communities.
- Develop and deliver a communications and engagement plan for projects / programmes with internal staff, as well as with external partners and stakeholders.
- Support and participate in meetings, networks, and communications mechanisms that maximise the understanding of the projects / programmes that the role holder is working on.
- Prioritise workload and projects for self (and direct and indirect reports where appropriate), balancing competing demands.
- Ensure that benefits realisation of projects / programmes are agreed, monitored and tracked following their closure.
- To draw on own experience of and insights into innovative new approaches of delivering services to support senior officers to deliver agreed outcomes, confidently challenging variances and aspects of the programme where appropriate.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other