Corporate Services offers a challenging and stimulating variety of work in both delivery and support teams. The function utilises the expertise of eight specialisms that collectively enable the operational day-to-day running of the business to ensure that Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) delivers its objectives and maintains compliance with the requirements of being part of a Department of State. We cover: Business Support; Comms, Media & Marketing; Infrastructure & Estate Management; Policy Profession; Sales & Disposals; Occupational Health, Safety & Environment; Quality Management; and Security.
As the Occupational Hygienist for Defence Munitions (DM) you will be responsible for ensuring appropriate advice and guidance on occupational risks and associated preventative and control measures for all DM Sites. You will support the business providing assurance to the DM Head Office Operations Team Leader that risks are As Low As is Reasonably Practicable and are addressed in accordance with current regulations and policy.
The mission of Defence Munitions is to provide Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives to our Armed Forces on time, to standard and with increasing effectiveness. The core task includes the receipt, storage, maintenance, processing, accountancy and issue of the designated range of both General and Complex Munitions across sites within the UK and Germany.
You will play an important part of providing Occupational Hygiene related services to a dedicated and passionate work force.
This is a challenging and exceptionally rewarding position that will suit an individual who thrives in an ever-changing environment, and who is keen to add value through the provision of advice and guidance on a range of matters. It will suit an individual who is adaptable and dedicated in every part of their work.
You will have a good level of both verbal and written communication, as well as a flexible attitude and the ability to work independently with the capability to priorities your own workload. You will also be able to work within a team environment with a diligent and conscientious approach.
As the Occupational Hygienist you will provide Defence Munition sites with professional expertise pertaining to occupational hygiene, key responsibilities will include:
* Ensuring business occupation health surveys, monitoring and assessment regimes align with current legislation and policy.
* Understanding the legal requirements and importance of risk reduction and ensuring this is both shared and disseminated across Defence Munitions.
* Helping the business in the application and development of principles of good practice for the control of exposure to substances hazardous to health.
* Operating an assurance regime which undertakes on-site assessments to identify the level of personal exposure to chemical, physical, ergonomic, biological and psychosocial hazards and the prevention and control measures required which are proportionate to that risk.
* Manage health surveillance programme including advice and guidance to site personnel, governance and trend analysis establish leading and lagging indicators.
* Provide clear and accurate information on complex health and safety issues such as COVID 19, Asbestos, Legionella and Control of Substance Hazardous to Health.
* Inform organisational staff on health issues such as asbestos, legionella and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) awareness.
If found successful, you will be expected to be committed to achieving a Diploma of Professional Competence in Occupational Hygiene (DipOH) if not already held.
Due to the frequent travel required in the role, there may be the need for overnight stays, and it is important a full and current driving licence is held.
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* A Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene (CertOH/ICertOH) or an equivalent qualification with experience
* Experience in changing and improving processes and a strong background in effective decision making
* Demonstration of professional leadership through being a subject matter expert and effective verbal and written communication skills
* Full and Current Driving Licence
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge working with Ordnance, Munitions, Explosives (OME)
* Relevant experience attained from working in a large and complex environment
* Understanding of the defence sector
* Working knowledge of all relevant H&S legislation and Explosive Regulations
* Relevant professional membership for example, The British Occupational Hygiene society
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Hazardous Substances - Technical knowledge: Risk Assessment and Control
* Technical Management Skills - Planning & Resource Management
* Communicating and influencing
* Working together
Role shuts on Sunday 21st March
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other