Portsmouth Local Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment, to improve outcomes for children.
Going forward, the service and its Business Support function will embrace change, have a strong and sharp focus on exceptional customer care, and will respond flexibly and effectively to the Social Work Matters agenda and other transformational developments.
The Children and Families Services supports and protects Portsmouth's most vulnerable children and young people enabling them to lead safer, healthier and more fulfilling lives. It also acts as the corporate parent for the city's Looked after Children.
There are 3 FTE administrative posts to cover for 10 weeks within each Locality Teams: 1 FTE for Central Locality, 1 FTE for South Locality both based at Civic Offices and 1 FTE for North Locality Team, office based at Medina House, Cosham. You will provide high quality administrative support to the Locality teams whom provide intervention with children and families so it is important they work in partnership with parents and other professionals so that the right services can be provided longer term.
It is a very busy and a challenging role, for someone who enjoys working as part of a team and wants to do a worthwhile job.
What is the role?
You will be:
- Organising agenda and paperwork and minute taking at complex meetings i.e. strategy meetings
- Entering data into service information and caseload systems to ensure accurate records are kept i.e. CCM.
- Typing of supervision notes and entering these accurately on CCM for statutory purposes
- Administering the collection and presentation of service performance information.
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing post, ensuring service user's information is protected at all times. Scanning documents onto ESCR (electronic filing system).
- Dealing with telephone enquiries from multi agencies, service users and families, ensuring timely responses and concerns relating to the safeguarding of children are signposted and responded to appropriately.
- Updating CCM with decisions made to ensure these decisions are communicated in a timely manner to all involved with our children/young people.
- Maintaining files and documentation
- Printing of reports/templates for meetings
- Finance, arranging translators, booking accommodation, raising purchase orders, ordering birth certificates.
- Carrying out all necessary word processing, spread sheets, database and presentation duties
- Dealing with all correspondence, which includes highly confidential information
- Supporting Service Leader and Team Leaders with management reports, stats, diary management and typing.
- Required to support other areas within the department to ensure Business Continuity.
Who is the person?
- Essential to have experience of working within Children's and/or Young People's Services.
- Have a basic knowledge of Safeguarding.
- Be able to take accurate and detailed minutes of complex meetings which will contain confidential and sensitive information.
- Have excellent telephone, and face to face communication skills to be able to deal with a very wide range of callers – some of whom might be very distressed or angry.
- Have a customer-focus (internal and external) and be able to demonstrate consistently high standards of customer care and customer service.
- Be able to respond appropriately to enquiries from parents/carers who may be anxious or emotional due to issues concerning the safeguarding and well-being of children.
- Be a good listener as you will need to get the right information from a caller in order to put them in touch with the right people in the office.
- Have empathy for others as you will be dealing with some difficult and upsetting situations.
- Be able to demonstrate personal resilience and professionalism when exposed to explicit and emotionally challenging information.
- To have strong organisational skills. Have a good attention to detail and level of accuracy.
- Have good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and confident using IT systems (outlook/word/excel/databases) to undertake the admin tasks of the role.
- Be working as an effective member of the team and flexible to be able to adapt to the needs of the service.
- Be able to maintain a positive and professional attitude when dealing with very challenging and emotionally sensitive information.
- Have a good understanding of client confidentiality, Information Governance and Data Protection.
- Have good literacy and numeracy skills.
- Have the ability to work flexibly to meet the requirements of the team and wider service.
This is a running contract for two (2) months