We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets and smartphones therefore we are building a team of outstanding people who will create and run these new and improved technology services.
Our role sits within HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
We are looking for two senior service designers to work within Strategy, Design, Architecture and Innovation teams in CDIO.
These roles sit within the Product and User Centred Design and Innovation teams and will report into the Head of Design.
You’ll work on a multidisciplinary team, alongside policy experts, user researchers, designers, product managers, innovation and technology experts. As a team, you’ll develop innovative approaches for digital products that are part of end-to-end services across HMRC and government.
You’ll also be part of our active and supportive design community in HMRC and across government. Job description Your role will include:
• Providing service design leadership and direction for collaborative teams
• Developing user-centred service propositions
• Enabling design-led decision making
• Developing an understanding of user needs, policy and organisational intents
• Building collaborative relationships with stakeholders across teams and service domains
• Mapping as-is journeys and creating new blueprints (for services and processes across channels)
• Creating sketches, scenarios, diagrams, maps, and prototypes
• Working with innovators to design aspirational concepts for future services and processes
• Analysing failure within existing services, identifying root causes for that failure and recommending solutions
• Using facilitation skills to enable others to see where improvements could be made
• Helping to plan, analyse and synthesize user research
• Mentoring and coaching more junior designers
• Participating in HMRC’s cross-government design and policy communities
Responsibilities Essential Experience
Essential technical skills and expertise for this role are:
• Significant experience collaborating with teams and stakeholders to help define the problem that needs to be solved
• Significant experience using data and research to influence design thinking e.g. creating diagrams and sketches that clearly communicate user journeys, interactions and other behaviours through services (you will need to show evidence of this as part of your application, including links to service design portfolio/examples in your personal statement)
• Significant experience planning and running service design activities, including:
- Creating high level project plans for design, planning and running workshops with stakeholders and end-users
- Leading the analysis and synthesis of outputs to create user journeys and service flows
- Experience using a variety of methods for prototyping and iterating products and end-to-end services
- Experience using design to aid in the development of strategy, including the evaluation of strategies and policies to ensure that user needs and business requirements are being met
- Basic understanding of digital delivery platforms and emerging technologies
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with multidisciplinary teams at pace
These areas of experience are desirable:
• Working to the government service standard
• Experience working in agile teams
• Designing within a policy context
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector IT & Internet