We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, the SDA supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
Here at the Dreadnought Alliance, we are looking for Software Assurance Managers to join our team of professionals, who are proud to deliver and support some of the UK's largest and technically challenging engineering projects.
The Dreadnought Alliance is a commercial alliance between the MOD, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce, brought together to deliver the UK's next generation ballistic missile submarine. Dreadnought is the UK's most critical and complex major programme. This programme will deliver four state of the art submarines to host the UK's strategic deterrent and maintain the ultimate guarantee of our security in an uncertain world.
The project is as equally complex as it is vital. You will act as an intelligent customer to a number of key suppliers as they develop elements of the software system integrated onto Dreadnought.
These are unique and challenging roles, where you will be involved in various aspects of software on all systems on board Dreadnought (spanning Reactor, Platform, Combat systems and Strategic Weapons system). Specific areas include:
- Software Quality Assurance
- Software Risk Management
- Software Configuration Management
- Software through-life support
- Software assurance strategies and practice for meeting safety and mission critical requirements
- Strategies and practices for protecting software from malware through life
- Managing the interface between software and information Assurance, or Cyber Security
Specific responsibilities vary between the posts but will include:
Reviewing and assuring the deliverables of suppliers, and interfacing with international partners, you will clearly communicate changes and ensure full integration with the rest of the platform.
You will support our team by providing expert advice to system owners, ESO (Engineering System Owner) Integration, ESO Safety, DSST ILS (Dreadnought supply and support team, Integrated Logistic Support) Lead and the Project Chief Engineer as required on software support and software safety related matters.
You will attend design reviews on all of above systems, providing authoritative design direction on behalf of the Approving Authority.
You will ensure the maturation and maintenance of the Dreadnought software support strategy and through life capability for software support is established and optimised during the design, build, test and commissioning phases for seamless transition to in-service.
You will also be responsible for ensuring the designs comply with the Ships Spec and ultimately the customer's user requirements.
These posts can be located at any of the Dreadnought Alliance Programme Team sites at Barrow-in-Furness, Abbey Wood Bristol, or Raynesway, Derby, but initially working-from-home while current Covid restrictions apply.
Here at the Submarine Delivery Agency, we exercise smart working, so although you will be based at either one of the locations above, you will have the opportunity to work from home with agreement from your manager.
Please note: There will be a requirement for regular travel to attend specific meetings/events at location across the UK.
Due to the nature of the projects involved, this post is open to SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will have demonstrable experience of meeting detailed and complex engineering and software standards, and experience managing safety critical software systems
- You will have experience of applying systems en
engineering on a complex project
- You will have experience of high integrity software development in complex and safety/ mission critical projects
- You will be degree qualified in an engineering or IT subject, or have the equivalent relevant deep technical experience
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Submarine systems design and operation, Including alongside and at sea and maintenance and support activities
- Submarine design experience
- Experience of the application of standards and guidance in the creation of safe systems that contain programmable elements. These could include Defence Standard 00-056, Defence Standard 00-055, ARP4764A, DO-254, DO-178, BS EN 61508 and JSP 440
- Knowledge of JSP 935 - Software Acquisition Management for defence Systems
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Complies with Systems Safety Requirements
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other