You are a software developer with a real passion for problem-solving using software, and hands-on attitude and can-do enthusiasm.
You experience as either a ReactJs developer or Java/Kotlin developer. You must be open minded, and technically curious, with a willingness to learn any areas in which you have less experience.
Plus points are given to candidates who have machine learning/Unity game engine experience and have worked in product development and a start-up ecosystem.
This is a mid-level position, but junior developers, who are up for fast growth are also encouraged to apply.
The role is full-time. Covid-19 restrictions permitting, the successful applicant will be expected to attend the office in Stratford 1 day per week.
At its heart, X is an innovative technology company which exists to develop its IP across multiple sectors, including (but not limited to) engineering, construction, and finance. We provide specialist software solutions that deliver superior and actionable business insights for our clients through data integration, data mining, machine learning, and augmented reality. We also have a thriving consultancy business that helps inform and feed the research and development activities and provide ideas and experience across numerous technologies, platforms and sectors.
Our approach promotes collaboration across many disciplines to find solutions for some of the most pressing issues that can be solved with intelligent software design.
About the Role:
The Developer position is a technical role whose main responsibility is to assist X development initiatives, either for the internal research and development programmes or for external client projects through the consultancy business. We are looking for someone who is willing to work across the whole stack, who has a "can-do" attitude who can "roll up their sleeves" and get stuck into whatever technical problem needs solving, widget needs building, or services need fixing. They should be motivated and willing to take ownership of deliverables and open to interfacing with the clients, so good communication skills are also important. You will be working with an energised and very creative team who are passionate about what they do and always willing to help and engage in pair programming.
Our mantra is pragmatism and simplicity, and we strive to apply this at all levels, so favour a straightforward architecture that keeps the frameworks and layers to a minimum. MongoDB is our main database and any extensive experience in this NoSQL database would be very welcome.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
· Experience working on front and back-end systems
· Knowledge of Java/Kotlin or Scala (any JVM language) and/or ReactJS
· Analytical approach to performance
- Typescript, Webpack, Babel knowledge
- MongoDB experience
· Python experience - ideal but not essential
· Machine learning experience and machine learning scientific libraries such as TensorFlow, Keras, Scikit-learn and NumPy - ideal but not essential
· Experience with game engines such as Unity - ideal but not essential
· Start-up familiarity
· Product development skill
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Working as part of the wider team to take on ownership of technical tasks.
- Carefully considering the design and impact of technical changes and discussing with peers and senior staff.
- Always striving to write simple, clean and testable code.
- Always delivering code supported by appropriate unit tests.
- Raising any concerns, issues or impediments to progress with the appropriate Technical Lead or senior staff, as soon as possible.
- Updating any task management software (i.e. Jira) regularly and accurately.
- Engaging courteously and constructively with clients.
- Working with your line manager to produce and maintain a development plan for your technical and personal progression.
- Customer Focus
- Continuous Learning
- Decision making and Accountability
- Drive and Results Focus
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other