Although predominantly focused on Electronic disciplines, this diverse area encompasses several technical areas:
* Electronics and sensors
* Software and cyber
* Systems and integration
Suitable candidates will be qualified and experienced in one or more of the above disciplines, with the acumen to develop, in-role, into one-or-more of the other areas.
A Combat System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship's information and messaging systems, Integrated Platform Management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety.
Please note that some of these posts are open to sole UK nationals only.
Successful candidates will be required to carry out a variety of tasks within this application area, the highest demand being in roles ensuring the integration of new or replacement equipment, such as a radar or communications system, into existing platforms. This must be achieved whilst ensuring that the new and the other legacy equipment can continue to operate safely and securely together.
Tasks may include some of these aspects depending on assigned role:
* Being a technical SME/focal point in support of In-service support team(s)
* Providing technical input and decision making into safety panels
* Delivering artefacts to enable procurement and management of technology
* Provide software expertise and assurance, making recommendations and decisions
* Lead junior team members, graduates and apprentices on a placement basis to develop and deliver
* Identify technical options to replace legacy obsolescent equipment in a timely, cost effective, safe and functional manner
* Provide technical project support to delivery and insertion of new capability onto diverse platforms
* Actively engage with other functions to enable delivery of outcomes
* Provide briefs and recommendations on technical options, way forward, challenges and mitigations to technology and safety risk
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or extensive equivalent experience
* Experience within a complex engineering environment
* The ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform
* Experience of working in a multi-faceted team
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* As safety is key to Defence, experience in a highly regulated engineering environment, such as Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime or Weapons would be of particular interest
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Improve Engineering Capability (Supervised Practitioner)
* Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an on site gym, on site restaurants, cafes and much more.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other