We are looking for people with experience in avionics, structural integrity (whole aircraft), mechanical systems, propulsion, electronics, weapons integration, security, software or support equipment in an air environment. We would be particularly interested in applications from people with an aviation regulatory environment background.
In return, careers within the Air domain offer stability, professional development and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, where we will continue to cultivate your passion for problem solving and leading others. We support a positive and proactive mind set, with a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service.
Most of these opportunities require the post holder to be able to achieve an Airworthiness Letter of Delegation within 12 months of appointment.
These roles will be reporting into management, based at Abbey Wood. Our teams are currently working predominantly from home, due to COVID-19 restrictions. Under our general conditions, we offer flexible working arrangements and we would be happy to discuss these with successful candidates.
Please note that one of these posts will be reserved and so requires a Sole UK National, willing to undergo Developed Vetting.Responsibilities for Air Engineering Manager
As our Air Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of activity against engineering management plans, including engagement with various stakeholders, such as the Aviation Duty Holder, the air regulatory authorities and industry, to ensure systems and equipment are safe by design and remain safe to operate.
Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Managing the delivery of all engineering aspects in your area of responsibility, as defined in the assignment specification or objectives, including managing the acquisition safety aspects
* Providing expert advice and guidance, in your own technical area, to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
* Managing the technical requirements for the acquisition life cycle stage of one or more projects, programmes, services or systems
* Monitoring and implementing any governance and assurance policies and procedures, to ensure the 'safe and professional' status of your area led
* Leading on the development of requirements related to your area of specialism, including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
* Interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
* You will utilise your knowledge of safety regulations, policies and engineering processes and their appropriate application to Air platforms, systems and equipment in order to successfully lead engineering teams.
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in an engineering related subject or will demonstrate equivalent experience in the aerospace industry
* You will have demonstrable experience of managing and influencing a variety of senior stakeholders on policy, process and technical risk management
* You will have demonstrable experience of successfully implementing engineering management plans
* You will hold Incorporated Engineer status or demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* You will have led Engineering teams and activities
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of applying air regulations (in a civil or military aviation environment)
* Evidence of maintaining continued professional development and assisting with the development of others
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical decision making - Practitioner
* Technical Risk Management - Practitioner
* Communicating and influencing
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking : https://des.mod.uk/job/air-engineering-manager/
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other