This role is available in any of the following locations
Newcastle Upon Tyne, Manchester, Shipley moving to Leeds Regional Centre, Telford, Worthing, Bristol, Edinburgh
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration system and runs the biggest digital operation in the UK Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
We are undergoing a major transformation, which includes a major investment in digitisation. This means customers can do more for themselves online, in real time, on computers, tablets or smartphones. Therefore we are building a team of outstanding professionals who will create and run these new and improved technology services.
This unique opportunity is for an experienced Architect to work within the Enterprise Architecture team of HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO) to lead Applications and Application Integration Architecture at a time of significant change and transformation in HMRC.
You will play a key role in planning the HMRC application landscape as well as designing, developing and ever-greening Application Architecture directions and governing a portfolio of solution architectures and high-level designs against these directions. In this role, you will have the opportunity to bring together, develop and lead a team of Enterprise Application and Integration Architects to promote consistent application architecture across a multi-billion-pound portfolio of business transformation projects, including cross-government projects within HMRC.
You will create and evolve application roadmaps that will drive the adoption of modern technology, whilst pushing HMRC’s hugely complex IT estate towards a smaller set of strategic platforms. Job description A Lead Enterprise Architect is one of the senior leadership roles in the Digital Data and Technology (DDaT) profession, working across HMRC at a strategic level to translate the business strategy into business change and technical delivery.
We are looking for an Enterprise Architect passionate about application architecture and application integration, well experienced in all aspects of application architecture gained through working across a sizeable application landscape.
As the successful candidate, you will lead a team of Enterprise Architects responsible for working across HMRC, helping the transformation programmes in defining and promoting the digital agenda in line with HMRC Digital by Default strategy and in socialising and evangelising them with senior stakeholders. This role will additionally provide active internal consultancy in application architecture, driving adoption of HMRC’s Enterprise Architecture vision, strategies and directions.
You will be expected to engage at a strategic level, influencing policy, and setting direction for technical and business change and play a key role in ensuring that HMRC develops and maintains a strong Architecture capability through coaching, mentoring and training.
Responsibilities Essential Experience:
• A broad IT and Enterprise Architecture (EA) background, with experience in architecting enterprise scale applications or architecture roles where you will have gained experience of large-scale application deployment.
• Development and ownership of EA strategies and application roadmaps from a business and technology perspective, including ‘as-is’, to-be’ and transitional states
• The ability to develop, document and establish architectural principles, policies, standards and reference architectures
• Experience in assuring technology decisions are aligned to EA strategy
• Knowledge of the wider digital economy and the ability to carry out horizon scanning across industry, identifying advances in technology, emerging trends and their potential impact on the organisation
• The ability to simplify complex and technical information by using appropriate and accessible language for non-technical audiences
• Capable of guiding the decision-making process, explaining trade-offs and making a recommendation based on all the available information
• The ability to look beyond the immediate problem and identify the wider implications across the enterprise
• An overall perspective on business issues, events and activities, and an understanding of their wider implications and long-term impact
• An understanding of how all parts of the business model work together including processes, operating models, and application architecture
• Understand and contribute to discussions about commercial contracts, procurement and sourcing strategies
• Experience of applications or systems for Accounting, Customer Relationship Management, compliance, customer records management, automation etc.
• Either have certifications or could work to achieve professional certifications such as TOGAF, AWS, Microsoft, etc.
• Have experience of using and promoting Enterprise Architecture tools such as Abacus, etc.
• Experience in Architecture Governance
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Knowledge and experience of Application Lifecycle, Standards & Tools
- Knowledge and Experience of application development on one or more of application development platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Pega, SAP etc..
- Knowledge and experience in digitally managing Content Lifecycle (Customer Records Management and Document Management) preferably with exposure to tools such as Documentum, Alfresco, SharePoint, etc.
- Knowledge and experience of Customer Relationship Management and omni channel customer interactions and related applications
- Knowledge and experience of Robotic Process Automation capabilities and technologies preferably NICE, PEGA Robotics , UIPath etc.
- Knowledge and experience of DevOps Methodologies, Application Patching and development best practises
- Knowledge and experience of applying Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning capabilities to enable Customer Insights & Segmentation , Behavioural analytics, Conversational UI, Multi Synchronous Messaging
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension Applications close 11:55 pm on Friday 18th June 2021
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services