- Leading our cycling and walking workstream within the design service
- Managing the implementation of the programmes of work ensuring that these are in accordance with the policies and strategic aims of the County Council.
- Promoting a high level of customer service
- Providing technical support to all design teams, developing junior members of staff understanding and knowledge regarding the requirements of the authority to promote cycling and walking.
- Assist the Team Leader by forming an integral part in leading the team, deputising as required.
- Provide clear and robust leadership to ensure that staff are clear of their direction, motivated and that productivity is maximised.
- Provide technical excellence regarding Cycling and walking requirements. In-depth knowledge and application of LTN1/20 and 'Gear Change' is essential.
- Manage the delivery of the local programme of works within the team ensuring delivery to budget and agreed timescales, to the right quality.
- Liaising with other Teams and Services within Essex Highways to ensure coordinated service delivery.
- Manage the feasibility, design, tendering and construction of the local programme of works.
- Ensure strong budgetary control and financial management is undertaken throughout areas of responsibility.
- Undertake the development and review of policies, plans, procedures and practices as required.
- Prepare reports for projects including local briefing notes, Chief Officer Approvals, Cabinet Member Approvals and Key Decisions
- Provide timely and accurate advice to County Councillors, District Members, Parish Councils and the general public on all highway-related matters as required.
- Manage and promote Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System and Construction Design Management, with the aim of minimising work related injuries
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree, or equivalent qualification, or significant experience in highways.
- Membership or working towards membership of a relevant Professional Institution.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Demonstrable knowledge of national guidance, legislation and regulations relating to design and implementation of highway schemes. In particular, expertise in pavement design and construction methods
- Knowledge of, and experience in, managing the design and implementation of highway schemes including statutory processes involved with these activities
- Knowledge and application of budgetary management and control measures
- Knowledge of a wide range of relevant engineering or service techniques and procedures.
- Appropriate knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation
- Ability to prioritise own work to support business priorities and as a team leader.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with key people both internally and externally.
- Experience of advising elected Members and influencing local decision makers, including external stakeholders desirable.
- Dealing with members of the public.
- Demonstrable awareness of environmental aspects and impacts and waste management.
- Conversant with Microsoft applications - Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills (including report writing).
- Experience of management of staff including performance management.
- Required to be mobile throughout an operational area
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other