- Mechanical Design:
- Design and develop industrial, mobile and rugged computers and 19" racks and associated fittings as used within various industries including commercial, military, oil & gas and medical.
- Complete conceptual mechanical design using 3D modelling, prototype build and design verification testing as required.
- Checking of mechanical drawings and design documentation for accuracy and correctness whilst requirements regarding cost, safety and time constraints are met.
- Responsible for mechanical part selection taking into consideration obsolescence, availability and cost.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting designs reviews and if required, generating minutes from Design Reviews.
- Ensures design files and information are kept up to date and stored in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Highlights all mechanical technical risks to the Lead Mechanical Design Engineer and\or the Engineering Director.
- Proficient with the company's preferred drawing tool (Solidworks) and associated PDM system.
- Follows departmental processes and ensure adherence with ISO9001. Where needed highlight improvements in current practices and take active steps to develop improvements for review and release into the company's BMS system.
- Assist in development of the team and department by proactively identifying and implementing improvements.
- Prepare and communicate specifications for purchase of materials and equipment/tooling with purchasing and where necessary with suppliers.
- Creation of technical reports and documentation as required.
- Ensure designs and products meet codes of practice and recognised standards applicable to the company and/or the customer.
- Apply due diligence and make best efforts to comply with regulatory requirements and/or identify risks if compliance requirements cannot be met.
- Provide information in a timely manner to support pre-sales bid work including concept designs.
- Work with purchasing and suppliers to select parts, obtain quotes and prepare specifications.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering teams and production to document, build and verify prototype parts and when needed train build operators. Recommend modifications following prototype test results
- Make sure product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in the specified operating environments
- Define critical dimensions for measurement and assessment by incoming inspection.
- Be responsive to engineering support requests and ensure time estimates and accurate and work complete on time. Provide regular status regarding progress of issues.
- Where needed recommend, help rework or train production operatives to successfully complete rework of non-conforming material using suitable equipment and tools.
- Adopt the key business objectives, core & brand values, culture and behaviours.
- Meet Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the role.
- Maintain a high standard of personal professional behaviour with colleagues, and all other stakeholders.
- Adhere to the BMS (Business Management System) framework of ISO-9001/14001 Processes, Work Instructions, policies and all other associated documents.
- Be a team player with appropriate levels of communication with all team members.
- Provide complete information on time as required by relevant reporting structures.
- Be open to new ideas and ways of working to improve what we do and how.
- Timely completion of time/work tracking sheets.
- Provide timely and accurate updates regarding assigned tasks on the relevant tracking tools used.
- Maintain tidiness of work areas
- Experienced Engineer in a mechanical engineering.
- Knowledgeable with sheet metal fabrication designs in medium to large products built in relatively small quantities (10s - 100s).
- Understanding of common design and manufacturing processes ie: machined component design, injection moulded component design, fabrication, assemblies, linear, positional and geometric tolerancing.
- Producing mechanical manufacturing and assembly drawings using 3D CAD.
- Understanding of revision control.
- Good knowledge of maths and mechanical engineering principles
- Ability to assess functional requirements of a product and how best to execute concept designs
- Clear and articulate communication skills, both written and verbal. In particular the ability to communicate complex engineering concepts in an understandable manner.
- Ability to plan work and prioritise activities in order to deliver agreed commitments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools normally used in an engineering environment
Education and Security Clearance:
- 2nd Class Degree in Mechanical Engineering or knowledge gained through experience
- BPSS Security Clearance required.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other