Roles & Responsibilities
NATS is embarking on a major multi-year programme of work to modernise its systems and services. To effectively manage the new Systems & Services they require an increased Service Operations Management (SOM) capability (people, process & tools) based on ITIL to minimise operational cost, predict and manage failures and improve overall quality of service delivered to its business and customers. SOM shall provide multiple capabilities including Services Desk, Configuration Management, Monitoring & Management, Automation, Security Information & Event Management, and Knowledge & Analytics as part of its scope.
Delivered as part of the SOM project, the Operating Systems group will provide hardened operating system images, based on recent Windows and Linux distributions, which can be deployed on virtual and physical hardware, with out of the box integrations into the SOM tooling and other utility and security services, to support a common deployment platform for the whole of NATS.
As an Operating Systems SME you will primarily be supporting the Design Lead to deliver the Managed OS solution:
- managing and maintaining gold build pipeline, including security hardening, testing and assurance activities
- support the deployment and distribution of the patch management service
- support the Managed OS solution as it passes through the development lifecycle
The role also includes supporting other Design Leads and Engineers across the SOM capability areas. In particular, you will be expected to contribute to the Orchestration and Automation capability where there is a strong overlap of skills.
The role will require you to work in multiple environments and with other programs (non SOM) to accommodate their requirements and configure the toolset accordingly working with an on-boarding team.
- Experience in Jenkins, GIT, GITLAB, Ansible, Puppet, Apache, IIS.
· Strong development and scripting and automation skills with two or more of the following; Python, BASH, PowerShell, Groovy.
· Expert in Linux operating systems (esp. RHEL, CentOS), and/or Expert in Windows Sever 2016
- Experience of delivering solutions using automated mechanisms to include creation & maintenance of GITLAB CI and Jenkins Jobs.
- Experience with Linux & Windows Automated Patching
- Self-disciplined, following processes and best practices whilst working across environments: dev, test and production
- Two or more years' experience using VMware.
- Ability to debug code and issues in the core products
- Ability to translate technical solutions into clear and concise work instructions
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple disparate teams and apply this to remote working conditions
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working in small teams
- Knowledge/Experience of Service Management Tools
- Knowledge of UK Cloud or other vCloud Director platform solutions
- Working knowledge of Agile Methodologies such as SCRUM
- Knowledge of the ITIL framework
- Recent hands on experience in Infrastructure Design (hosting, storage, network, PaaS/IaaS)
- Experience with using PULP/WSUS
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other