Our client designs and builds small-scale water and wastewater purification systems. These systems use combinations of technologies to purify water to enable it to be used in a diverse range of technical applications or to meet discharge standards. These applications include molecular biology, pharmaceutical research, trace analysis, clinical assays and sterilisation.
This role will be working within the product development team on new developments in wastewater purification technologies and products on the laboratory scale. These will be associated with a wide range of process technologies and new product projects.
The work will primarily involve designing, building and operating laboratory-scale test rigs featuring new technologies, prototypes and finished products. This requires associated chemical/microbiological analytical test work and reporting on results, as part of the Research and Development team. Calibration of specialist wastewater quality instruments is also required. Energetically driving forward our wastewater product development programmes will be a priority.
Please Note - applicants who are asked for an interview will be required to demonstrate their knowledge and practical skills via a series of aptitude tasks. The outcomes of these will have a major bearing on our choice of successful candidate.
1. Operation of test equipment associated with new products and processes
To ensure pilot rig and finished product testwork and associated tasks are carried out satisfactorily and completed to meet the technical objectives set within the agreed time scales.
- Identify new processes and technologies to test, based on your own research and previous experience.
- Leading the process design and testing of wastewater processes and products
- Collaborating in setting design/objectives of testwork, plus definition of time-scales
- Carry out risk assessments of planned testwork
- Safe, logical/careful & thoughtful completion of practical work, data logging/processing.
- Accurate recording of experimental results, report writing and outcome presentation.
- Organising and monitoring test programmes for new products/technologies.
- Time management, record keeping and communication.
- Test reports are completed and written up promptly, in line with departmental KPIs.
- Make recommendations for process train and operating parameters to be used in the finished product.
- Project Support
Acquire a detailed familiarity with the technologies used in water and wastewater purification and with the company range of products. Provide support to other team members throughout the company.
- Analytical Equipment and Techniques
To participate in ensuring that an efficient analytical service is provided by the department. This will require:
- Maintaining a good working knowledge of the appropriate techniques. This to encompass both water and wastewater analysis methods and equipment.
- Develop and set-up analytical methodologies appropriate for determination of parameters appropriate for particular waste waters.
- Work with third party laboratories to arrange sample analysis where appropriate
- Ensuring relevant Work Instructions are kept updated and work is carried out to them.
- Ensuring equipment is in full working order and calibrated, the laboratory is kept clean, tidy and safe, in accordance with regulatory standards.
- Laboratory Visibility
The laboratory is maintained such that it provides visitors with a positive reinforcement of our commitment to high quality R&D. A professional approach and GLP-compatible behaviour is a mandatory part of this role.
- Other features of the job that require emphasis;
- A high degree of flexibility to enable us to react to changing priorities.
- Working in the R&D Department, information security and confidentiality are essential.
- A willingness to embrace the precepts of chemistry, microbiology and chemical engineering in order to integrate well in our multidisciplinary team.
- A high level of work independence is required. After an initial period of training on water purification technologies and laboratory procedures, the candidate will be expected to take ownership of some projects and related testwork.
- A degree or equivalent in chemical engineering
- At least 2 years hands-on experience of working on physico-chemical effluent treatment processes at small/pilot plant scale, particularly those of a non-biological nature. Oxidative or electrochemical processes would be particularly relevant-essential
- Previous job roles working in a laboratory or small scale production environment with a team of scientists/engineers
- Extensive knowledge of analytical equipment and techniques used to monitor water and wastewater treatment processes, and pilot plant testing
- Strength in mathematics, with the ability to handle numerical data sets-essential.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal & written, with the confidence to document and present, clearly & concisely, test results, conclusions and project outcomes
- A natural problem solver, using your own initiative to find solutions, as part of a team
- Willingness and the ability to explore new ideas and grow own knowledge base
- Good practical skills and a hands-on approach-essential
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other