Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, DE&S and the SDA both support Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), we're excited to be expanding our need for Junior Project Managers/Project Support across the project management function.
The role will be to deliver small projects, or elements of semi-complex projects using recognised project management principles, tools and techniques. You will also be responsible for the development of business cases and project management plans, or for providing project support in the development of these artefacts for larger projects.
You will be provided with diverse project opportunities; that are at the forefront of delivering future capabilities that may involve robotics and automation; for taking people out of areas of conflict or meeting current national and international needs, such as those pertaining to COVID-19 or Disaster Relief.
You will be supported to deliver outputs to meet agreed business outcomes in accordance with the DE&S/SDA Ways of Working and appropriate training provided to further develop Project Professional skills.
Successful candidates will deliver small projects or elements of more complex projects using recognised Project Management principles, tools and techniques.
- Coordinate multi-disciplinary functions in managing an aspect of projects demonstrating ability to lead as future managers
- Develop, maintain and control all relevant project documentation from project plans, project schedules, status reports and risk registers to deliver specific project outputs within an established baseline, measuring progress via monthly drumbeat, explaining variances and taking corrective action
- Analysis of requirements, risks, assumptions, issues, dependencies and opportunities
- Build relationships, influence stakeholders and manage expectations
- Maintain outputs in rather ambiguous and uncertain environments
Due to the secure nature of positions, some posts will be reserved for UK national only
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Previous experience applying project management tools and techniques to contribute to successful project delivery outputs
- Experience of gathering data, analysing and validating information to influence/inform decisions
- Experience of engaging with stakeholders
- Management of risk, assumptions, issues and dependencies to deliver small projects or support development for larger projects
- Contributing to project improvements or change
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Controlling a Project
- Delivering at pace
- Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other