Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, DE&S supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
We have a new opportunity for a Chief Naval Architect to join the Innovation and Future Capability (IFC) team at DE&S. This Team provides the mechanism within DE&S to allow rapid exploitation and delivery of capability, at the pace the Royal Navy requires, through an innovative and agile approach. You will work with the Develop Directorate, Nemesis and Ships Acquisition to convert force development, concepts and experimentation into deliverable and sustainable capability. IFC operates a balanced matrix across a portfolio of projects and technology workstreams, and is growing rapidly to include
- The initiation of pre-concept activities;
- Investigating, as part of the National Shipbuilding Strategy, the development of naval design through which advanced technology skills and exports might be driven.
You will provide a combination of eight essential technical services to the Project Managers including, but not limited to:
- Appropriately managing concept design and development
- Undertaking technical specification and requirements definition activities
- Options definition and operational analysis
- Technology exploitation management
- Ensuring that appropriate regulatory and policy, safety and environmental requirements for naval architecture have been identified and implemented, and reporting any safety and environmental concerns where appropriate
- Manage Integration, technical evaluation and acceptance activities
- Acting as professional lead for naval architecture related assurance and governance activities
- Analysis and understanding of the shipbuilding industrial landscape (commercial and military)
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Minimum of Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification in Naval Architecture (or equivalent)
- Hold Chartered Engineer status (eg. CEng or similar)
- Experience with naval architecture and ship concept design and development.
- Familiarity with technology evaluation and exploitation
- Experience on technical assurance and corporate governance
- Prior exposure to market engagement for technical goods and services
- Knowledge of the shipbuilding industrial landscape
It would benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Experience delivering within industry.
- An established network of key stakeholders or can demonstrate previous success in network development and stakeholder management.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Improve Engineering Capability
- Technical Decision Making
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other