Commercial Manager (BAE079837) - BAE systems - 12 month contract - (Preston or Barrow) Fully Flexible - £52.93ph PAYE or £68.02ph UMB (Inside IR35)
The Umbrella rate quoted above is the Gross Umbrella rate (i.e. the rate we pay to the Umbrella Company inclusive of ALL employment costs). Please note, the rate paid by the Umbrella will be less, as will a Limited Deemed rate or Agency PAYE rate. Please get in touch to discuss the rates via these different payment vehicles.
Clearance Requirements & Eligibility
This role will require the person to hold full Security Clearance (SC) prior to working onsite. You will need to obtain a Criminal Record Check. You must currently hold or be eligible and willing to obtain SC and you must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship and have lived and worked in the UK for a minimum 5 year period. If you are unsure as to whether you are eligible, please contact me to discuss.
BAE Systems Real Estate Solutions (RES) are looking for a Commercial Manager to support a growing
portfolio of facilities and building services projects within our UK business.
Projects will be related to the construction of new facilities and services infrastructure or the repair or
refurbishment of existing facilities. You will work in a range of fast-moving project teams including
project management, engineering, QSHE, real estate and planning functions. You will have
responsibility for commercial matters from project inception through procurement strategy, estimating,
tender, negotiation, contract administration and contract closure.
The role is based in the northwest (Preston or Barrow) and travel will be required to other BAE Systems
This is an exciting opportunity to interact with a range of professional people, delivery exciting projects
in a dynamic operating environment.
Your main responsibilities as a Commercial Manager will involve:
- Commercial management of high value/complexity construction projects (typically up to £15M).
- Provide contractual and procurement advice to stakeholders tailored to the nature and risk of the scope.
- Prepare project Procurement Strategies with stakeholders and gain cross -function approvals as
- Prepare formal Cost Plans in accordance with the RES Estimating Process (based on RICS NRM).
- Provide cost and risk advice to project stakeholders tailored to the nature of scope.
- Liaise with Legal, Group Insurable Risk, Real Estate Managers and others as required to ensure BAE
Systems commercial risk is appropriately managed.
- Prepare tender/contract documentation and ensure technical specifications have been approved by the
appropriate Delegated Authority before tender/contract release.
- Undertake tender actions and negotiations with suppliers to ensure the optimum value for money and
risk profile is achieved.
- Commercially manage contracts, ensuring BAE Systems commercial risk is managed appropriately
through the project lifecycle.
- Develop members and train those in the wider RES functions in commercial matters.
- Support the BAE Systems Lifecycle Management stage-gate process as required.
All the above may be done in support of more senior team members in the management of higher
Your skills and qualifications:
- Experienced in successful commercial project delivery throughout the whole project lifecycle.
- Experienced in working as part of fast-paced cross-functional project teams with excellent stakeholder
-Experienced in the administration of JCT and/or NEC construction contracts and managing commercial
- Ability to think logically and problem solve to meet project delivery requirements with minimal
- Expert knowledge in construction technology, construction contract law and construction estimating.
Understanding of statutory requirements, current regulations and approved codes of practice relating
to the commercial management of construction.
- Ability to develop cost plans in accordance with RICS NRM principles.
- Degree qualification or equivalent in appropriate commercial subject (e.g. quantity surveying,
commercial management, procurement, etc).
- Good IT skills, proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Professional chartership in appropriate commercial/construction field (e.g. RICS, CIOB, CIPS, IACCM
etc) or working to attain.
- People management experience.
Location: Flexible (Must be flexible to work at various locations doesn't matter where home location is North or South as job requires visits to various sites)
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme,
enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a
range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, childcare
vouchers, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be
eligible for an annual incentive.
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other