DE&S are seeking a Type Airworthiness Authority (TAA) Project Leader (PL) to join the Chinook Delivery Team, supporting the Team Leader in the delivery of a complex acquisition procurement via Foreign Military Sales (FMS) of 14 additional H-47(ER) Chinook Helicopters, known as the Chinook Capability Sustainment Programme (CSP).
The Chinook Delivery Team (ChDT) is part of the Helicopters Operating Centre within DE&S. The DT supports a fleet size of 60 aircraft, support helicopter training simulators and a variety of operations with a global footprint.
The Delivery Team supports this portfolio through airworthiness and safety management, as well as engineering and logistics support including the procurement and management of spares and contractor-managed output-based services. They also provide operational management of Support Helicopter training simulators and project management for the acquisition of new aircraft and capability upgrades.
The strategic importance of the H-47(ER) procurement makes this role diverse, challenging and interesting.
Your demonstrable, effective leadership skills and experience with management of significant, complex projects and budgets will be key to ensuring success in this role, highlighting your credibility and competence across the certification, safety and type airworthiness responsibilities and Project Management disciplines. The role will necessitate significant international travel, primarily to the USA, which could constitute up to 12 weeks per year.
Please note that for candidates that are invited for interview, there will be an extended period between being informed, and interviews taking place in order for you to submit evidence to the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) regarding your competency to hold Type Airworthiness Authority responsibilities, which will need to be assured in advance of interviews taking place.
Due to the nature of the role involved, we can accept applications from Sole UK nationals only.
As the Type Airworthiness Authority (TAA) and Project Leader (PL) for Chinook CSP you will:
- Be the lead for certification, safety and airworthiness, as well as holding responsibility for all aspects of the acquisition and support (including financial management) of the new aircraft fleet, supported by a cross functional team.
- You will operate in accordance with a personal Letter of Airworthiness Authority (LOAA), Military Aviation Authority (MAA) Letter of endorsement (LOE) and MAA Regulatory Publications.
- You will be the Senior Safety Responsible (SSR) Engineer for the H-47(ER) aircraft and will ensure the Type Airworthiness of the aircraft system is delivered and maintained throughout the platform's full lifecycle, whilst also delivering maximum operational availability of the in-service platform and providing leadership and direction to the CSP Engineering team.
- You will have accountability for all aspects of Project Delivery of the Cat A procurement, including project management, setting the performance management baseline, quality management, financial management and commercial delivery.
- You will be a part of the senior leadership of the Helicopter Operating Centre and, as such, will be expected to contribute effectively and collegiately to collective learning, governance, leadership and reputation management.
- You will work effectively across a range of senior civilian and military stakeholders (UK and international), within Government organisations and industry, operating collaboratively with the US-Government for procurement of equipment through Foreign Military Sales.
- You will lead an effective integrated logistics support solution for a new aircraft into service.
- You will be a Chartered Engineer or hold an equivalent Engineering accreditation/qualification and will also hold an APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ), APM Project Professional Qualification (PPQ) or have the equivalent experience.
- You will have previously held a Letter of Airworthiness Authority and have the ability to be awarded a Letter of endorsement (LOE) from the Military Aviation Authority within 3 months of arrival.
- You will have significant experience of leading and managing a project management team delivering a highly complex portfolio of projects or a programme across the aviation environment.
- You will demonstrate the ability to lead airworthiness, safety and certification activity for initial type certification of a complex aviation platform.
- Experience of leading the introduction to service and sustainment of a new aircraft type in accordance with the Military Aviation Authority's Regulatory Publications.
Changing and Improving
Technical Decision Making
Technical Risk Management
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other