As a Principal Engineer - Product Safety, you will have the opportunity to ensure design safety across multiple submarine programmes and manufacturing facilities. The scope of the role includes support to programmes at various stages of the lifecycle, from concept design stage through submarine build and commissioning activities, as well as activities supporting operational vessels in the Royal Navy. The analysis scope of the role covers major submarine internal hazards such as fire, explosion, flood, hazardous atmosphere, extreme temperature and pressure, ensuring the effect on the submarine and personnel are understood and mitigated. You will work as part of a team and liaise with multiple engineering departments to contribute towards and develop design safety cases using a range of safety techniques. This role will provide you with the chance to work alongside subject matter experts within an exciting and specialist skills area, whilst working on critical and complex national security engineering projects.
Your main responsibilities as a Safety Engineer will involve:
- Undertaking HAZID/HAZAN as required throughout the safety lifecycle
- Contributing to the design of submarines in concept stages, and design modifications of mature and operational submarines to ensure safety from internal hazards
- Acting as a subject matter expert for internal hazard safety at various design review meetings and as a design peer reviewer
- Developing safety case reports for multiple safety cases
- Undertaking risk assessments and ALARP assessments
- Producing and peer reviewing technical papers relating to safety analysis
- Liaising with a network of engineering stakeholders on safety maters
- Developing, producing and maintaining internal hazard safety processes and risk management strategies
- Monitoring, recording and reporting against key performance indicators for internal hazard safety through a variety of key stakeholder groups
Location: Remote working is currently offered due to the ongoing pandemic. Occasional requirements to visit submarines sites for some site specific tasks (Barrow in Furness).
Safety Engineering knowledge or experience gained from any of the following areas: systems safety, process safety, technical safety, product safety, nuclear safety or safety case.
Safety Engineering experience in a high hazard industry
Experience in naval maritime safety case development or maintenance
Experience with a range of quantitative and qualitative risk assessment techniques
Experience with safety integrity levels
Experience in constructing fault tree and event tree analysis
Degree qualified in a relevant STEM discipline
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other