Senior Project manager
Controls and Automation - Energy Sector
£55000 to £65000
We are focused on accelerating the energy transition through a series of novel technologies. One of these technologies, our Smart Transformer, incorporates advanced network monitoring and advanced control & autonomy concepts, using a combination of electromagnetic design, power electronics and advanced data processing. In doing so, it enables distribution networks to affordably manage power flow in order to maximise the penetration of distributed renewable energy, electric vehicles and other emerging technologies.
We are looking for a highly organised and experienced senior project manager with a robust experience in the engineering/technology sector. Working across teams in Edinburgh and Czech Republic, you will be responsible for managing and tracking progress as we develop and release products to support our mission within the energy sector.
The candidate should have a proven track record of managing technical projects through all stages - from analysis, design, planning and development, through to manufacturing and delivery. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring that projects are delivered successfully and timely, by keeping track of progress, resources' utilisation, costs, risks and timescales. Reporting to the Head of Operations, the role will interface with a team specialists in different disciplines (including engineering, data science, control systems), and external suppliers.
The successful candidate will ideally have a degree in Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation & Control or similar and have 5-10 years with significant experience of full lifecycle projects:
This is your role:
- Manage the project team and supply chain to deliver projects to time, cost, and quality targets and standards
- Work with the team to ensure that the teams and the individuals involved are fully informed about their work load and the expectations against them at each stage in the project.
- Manager and develop other Project Managers/Engineers in the organisation
- Make sure that project tasks are clearly laid out and targets are clearly defined for the whole team.
- Accountability for all aspects of delivery including risks, issues, scope, cost and timeline
- Manage the customer relationship during delivery, including change and decision making to manage expectations
- Work closely with global suppliers to ensure schedules and key milestones are clearly defined to enable close tracking and monitoring of progress
- Work closely with the team leads to define tasks, deliverables and associated timelines for each project.
- Close tracking of progress and budget by compiling detailed project plans and maintaining full visibility of each task, identifying and managing dependencies, proactively identify risks/roadblocks/potential delays and raising them in a timely fashion in order to minimise the impact to the project.
- Organise and chair regular progress update meetings.
- Ensure seamless communications across different teams.
- Manage all risks (financial, schedule, technical) on the project by compiling and managing a Risk Register, ensuring that each risk has been assessed and has an associated mitigation.
- Timely and accurate reporting of risks and issues to management to allow effective management decision making.
- Produce and maintain plans and closely monitor progress for a number of project teams in conjunction with team leads, producing accurate and clear reporting to management so that progress can be tracked.
- Track time spent and project costs against budget for each project, and immediately flag any departure from the targets set.
- Organise testing, commissioning and validation of equipment, assuring quality assurance, environmental, health and safety factors.
- Manage all project communications (weekly reporting) to the team and upper management to ensure full alignment across the organisation
What we are looking for:
- Education in the field of computer science or engineering is highly desirable, however other qualifications will be considered if supported by a strong record in the field of project management.
- Robust project management experience in an engineering/technology-focused environment.
- Experience of supplier/vendor management.
- Experience of organising and tracking global logistics.
- Robust organisational skills and multi-tasking, with excellent attention to detail.
- Fluent in the use of Microsoft Project or similar planning software.
- Experience in project financial tracking and budget control.
- Experience of leading geographically remote and culturally diverse teams with the confidence to lead, influence and communicate with others to deliver targets are required.
- Excellent customer facing skills with very good written and verbal communication
- Able to think strategically and use knowledge and experience to generate new opportunities and future challenges.
- Knowledge and experience in delivering projects against project management methodologies and tools (e.g. Agile, Waterfall) are highly desirable.
- PMP / PRINCE II certification would be an advantage.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other