Are you an engineer, fascinated by cutting-edge technology and excited by the chance to deliver novel weapon systems for experimentation by the British Armed Forces?
We are looking for two Project Engineers - an Experimentation Engineer and an Integration Engineer - to join our Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) Team, supporting the development of state-of-the-art weaponry. In these roles, you will play a significant part in supporting the delivery of Laser and Radiofrequency Directed Energy Weapon demonstrators into the hands of British Troops and exploring how DEW systems could support our Armed Forces in the future.
Utilising your skills, you will ensure that the systems delivered are safe and suitable for use, overcoming design, integration and experimentation challenges, working with a wide range of stakeholders, and steering the projects to a successful outcome at a rapid pace.
You will receive high quality on-the-job development, working in a supportive and dynamic team alongside the UK's leading experts in Directed Energy technologies, and will have the opportunity to develop line management and leadership skills.
Please note, due to the nature of the projects, these roles will be open to sole UK nationals only.
Reporting to the Experimentation or Technology Lead Engineer you will:
- Provide advice and guidance in your technical area to solve complex technical challenges around the integration/experimentation with Directed Energy Weapons on military platforms
- Evaluate Supplier proposals, plans and reports against project objectives and guide Suppliers in delivering a system which meets the objectives
- Assist in the evaluation of the capability of the equipment/systems delivered by Suppliers
- Support the development of requirements for future DEW projects building on the knowledge and experience gained through
- Produce technical reports, plans and other documentation
- [Experimentation Engineer] Work with a wide variety of stakeholders to develop User Experimentation Serials to guide the military in exploring the capability of the DEW Systems
- [Integration Engineer] Understand platform and system interfaces to manage and mitigate risks, looking ahead to the development of more powerful and capable systems to inform the development of military requirements
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You hold a minimum of a level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in an Engineering or Science subject, or will demonstrate equivalent relevant experience
* You have demonstrable experience of producing and reviewing technical documentation
* You have experience of working in a project environment to deliver a technical outcome
* You are able to demonstrate strong, demonstrable written and verbal communication skills
It would benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge and experience of systems integration and/or systems engineering approaches
* Experience in applying relevant policies, processes and standards to technical projects
* Knowledge of equipment safety processes, standards and regulations
* Experience in planning and/or undertaking trials
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Improve Engineering Capability (Supervised Practitioner)
* Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee's ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other