My client is recruiting for a Principal Mechanical Engineer in the Water Sector
Under the direction of the Engineering Manager the Job purpose is:
- Responsible for reviewing, digesting and technical translation of customer specific requirements from contract documentation
- Responsible for providing technical assistance, detailing equipment selections, specifications and production of design deliverables to support a variety of Water Technology products and systems.
- Provide technical assistance with standard products & proposals departments
- Responsible for and assistance to Project Engineering Manager in the supervision of design output content from a team of mechanical engineers, and the planning and control of mechanical design engineering resourcing and scheduling.
- The teams comprise of 3-8 mechanical engineers and designers
- To evaluate and review client particular specifications, current Industry Standards, together with National Regulations in order to ensure compliant Water Treatment designs, and produce technical clarifications and deviations to these specifications relevant to standard product designs. To assist in the development of contract scope of supply technical details during proposals documentation development.
- Responsible for reviewing Mechanical Engineers Process Calculations and Process Flow Diagrams, defining and producing P&ID's, producing pump sizing calculations, equipment data sheets and process equipment specifications, selection and detailing of valve, instrument, and equipment schedules, and technical appraisals of supplier proposals and designs. Preparation of mechanical and hydraulic designs; supported by calculations and references
- Responsible for the Design team in preparation of plant layout drawings including civil construction requirement details, pipework system designs, chemical storage and transfer system arrangements, compressed air treatment systems and pneumatic controls system designs.
- Assisting in the preparation and review of proposal scope documents, producing technical recommendation reports, reviewing sales proposal client feedback, and engaging with clients and sub-contractors during pre-contract and post contract discussions.
- Responsible for Reviewing of Process Control Philosophies and Functional Design Specifications to ensure that relevant design and engineering information is co-ordinated to all disciplines and that process control aspects are included where required. Compilation of specification sheets for the selected equipment.
- Assist in resolving design issues during manufacture, installation, commissioning and operation of products and systems, and liaise with customers with respect to legacy design issues.
- To comply with, support and develop the Company Quality Assurance System - BS EN:ISO 9001:2008
- To assess the department workload in conjunction with the Engineering Manager and manage the priorities of workload tasks for the mechanical engineering design team.
- To take due account of the responsibilities for the designer under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations in eliminating hazards and mitigating risks in all product and system design work.
- To assist the mechanical design team and others in the implementation of company quality Q.A Procedures with regard to Engineering Design Document Control Procedures and assist in the maintenance of the document control system.
- Eliminate hazards and mitigate risks in all products and system design by adopting good engineering practices in accordance with Human Factors Engineering and Ergonomic principles.
- Maintain an up to date awareness and knowledge of various water treatment processes, plant and equipment types and associated suppliers that may be associated to, or influence the design of company products or systems
Qualifications and Experience:
- An engineering qualification at Degree level or equivalent, this should be in a mechanical discipline
- Ability to interpret a wide variety of technical instructions which may be presented in diagrammatic form and deal with technically factual information as well as information which is open to interpretation
- Good problem-solving ability and possess a creative approach for new ideas
- Water Sector experience
- Experience in Electro chlorination packages. - desirable
- Experience with structural steelwork construction and design. Experience of pipe & structural steelwork welding methods, codes and techniques - desirable
- Knowledge and experience of ATEX, IEC Ex, HAZOP - desirable
- Experience of major Petrochem engineering specifications - desirable
- A good understanding of manufacturing and production methods and processes
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other