Working within the Ship Stability team, you will perform stability assessments for both in-service and new design/build naval ships. The role has a wide exposure with ship projects ( industry and fleet) allowing you to grow your career with us and develop competence in emergency response and also maintaining stability standards, guidance and analysis tools.
This progressive role is part of the Naval Authority Group, who are primarily responsible for the safety certification of all MoD Ships and Submarines! In this multidisciplinary team, you will work within a team of specialists in naval architecture, marine engineering and materials, who perform their safety role and advise project teams on wider technical aspects.
You will act of behalf of the Ship Stability team here at SDA and your work focus on safety assurance and will lead directly into safety certification.
The responsibilities of this post will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Carry out design appraisals of ship stability of in-service and new construction ships
* Manage ship safety certification
* Undertake surveys of watertight integrity, inclining experiments and displacement checks
* Lead on Paramarine stability software
* Ensure the maintenance of ship stability standards and guidance and advise where necessary
* Communicating and applying safety requirements, best practice and guidance
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Have a HNC or higher in Naval Architecture or a closely related discipline
* Proven technical experience in their discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts
* Demonstrate experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Competence in Paramarine stability software
* Have knowledge of naval and commercial stability standards
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Application of Analytical Techniques - Supervised Practitioner
* Technical Decision Making - Supervised Practitioner
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more. Find out more about SDA by clicking here.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, SDA promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within the SDA - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within the SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
To view the 'Little Book of Big Benefits', please click here
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Further information on nationality requirements
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other