Digital Services are evolving at a tremendous rate and, in Defence, these services are essential in keeping our Armed Forces safe whilst operating equipment that is capable of supporting humanitarian missions across the globe or contributing to peace through NATO activities. In this role, you will shape the development of Digital Services by providing Safety Engineering advice to the Support Chain Information Services team. This role offers a huge variety of work, and you will be uniquely placed to support the teams managing complex applications to comply with different regulatory requirements across Air, Land, Sea and Space.
DE&S advocates continued professional development and in this role you will be encouraged to continue your own learning journey, which is likely to include our industry recognised courses on Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS) or DE&S System Safety courses.
The successful candidate may base themselves in Yeovilton, Warminster or Bristol.
In this friendly team, your work will be varied, providing information relating to policy and regulation across all domains - Air, Land and Maritime - with oversight of applications. You will ensure due diligence throughout, ensuring 24/7 availability of systems that are 100% safe and fully accredited against the risk of cyber-attack, and that engineers are suitably qualified and experienced.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Reviewing and making sure that application safety artefacts are current and in-date
* Answering queries from team and customer
* Dealing with our delivery partner, Boeing Defence UK (BDUK)
* Researching different information, ensuring policy is kept up to date
* Supporting the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for Acquisition Safety and / or Environmental Management
* Establishing and implementing an appropriate Safety and / or Environmental Management System through the application of relevant legislation, MOD regulations and DE&S policy
* Overseeing and commissioning work and control Systems Safety and / or Environmental portfolios
* Providing advice and support with Systems Safety and/or Environmental Management Systems to senior safety responsible / safety responsible colleagues
* Facilitating Safety & Environmental Panels, Hazard Review Meetings etc.
* Advising on Safety & Environmental evidence sets, and Audit self-assessments
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will demonstrate extensive experience in the use of System Safety, Environmental and/or Risk Management tools and processes, and developing a Safety and/or Environmental Management System
* You will be a Member of a relevant Professional Safety and/or Environmental Institute, or equivalent body, or will be willing and able to achieve this within 6 months
* You will hold a minimum of Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant discipline
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Compliance with Policy
* Complies with Sys Safety requirements
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other