Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services (RCDTS) are working alongside HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and embarking on an ambitious and challenging digital transformation programme which will result in HMRC becoming one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
Our role sits within Chief Digital & Information Group (CDIO), we’re increasingly delivering in-house through our growing network of digital delivery centres – hi-tech, state-of-the-art facilities across the UK.
We focus on our people, with clearly defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable. We have flexible ways of working to help everyone manage their own work/life balance. And we’re creating an authentically diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
Role & Responsibilities
The Service Delivery Manager (DDAT role: Senior IT Service Manager) is aligned to the Business Delivery Groups and is accountable for the operational assurance and governance of IT services delivered by their assigned delivery areas ensuring this delivery forms part of an end to end service consistent with the objectives and strategy of the Customer Groups.
The Service Delivery Manager will immerse themselves in all aspects of the service provided by their delivery areas, so they can align and develop these services with the needs of the Customer Groups foremost in their minds.
The Service Delivery Manager will be:
- Point of contact for Delivery Groups using their breadth of knowledge in reference to ITSM processes, and a good understanding of the CDIO & Service Management and Operations SM&O accountabilities.
- Contact for the Business Service Managers owning and assisting in the management of critical issues using their strong relationships with the Delivery Groups and suppliers to ensure timely resolution of service issues. The Service Delivery Manager would use their service management experience to support the investigation of raised issues.
- Assist and support in Major Incidents utilising their knowledge gained through understanding their aligned Delivery Group and the service offerings they deliver.
Duties will include:
- In conjunction with the Business Service Managers, ensure the requirements of the Directorates are foremost in the mind of those delivering services
- To provide quality-assurance of changes, new services and ensure any associated artefacts are accurate and to the agreed standards
- Work as a trusted advisor to their assigned Delivery Groups by providing advice & guidance when required
- To support and provide guidance in the resolution of Major Incidents
- To ensure the Delivery Groups meets the performance targets
- To work closely with all key partners to ensure the success of the IT elements (provided by their Delivery Groups) for Key Business Events
- A demonstrable knowledge of the Live-Service Lifecycle, from design, through transition into Live and then ongoing support, using their experience to the benefit of the Delivery Group and effectively mitigating risks
- An understanding of managing services in a digital environment e.g. Agile & DevOps
- A good understanding of how well-written reports and communications can help inform and guide their Delivery Groups, especially during customer concerns and the investigations into underlying issues
- Expertise/experience in influencing internal/external teams to meet/exceed Business Directorate requirements
- Skilled at building strong relationships within the Delivery Groups s and service providers that will benefit your technical area.
- The ability to know when to apply ITIL best-practice or when to adapt a process to fit the requirement
- Problem-solving skills when analysing issues and how to lead others to the same solution. Good all-round communication skills to all levels of seniority and a strong background in creation & review of documentation.
- Knowledge of ITIL foundation
- Knowledge of Risk analysis
- A broad knowledge of the of IT Services delivered by their assigned Delivery Groups and the ability to know when to intervene if this is not being delivered
- A working knowledge of CDIOs Digital Strategy and how the Delivery Groups are working towards this plan.
If you are successful at the sift stage you will be invited to interview to demonstrate your suitability.
All applicants will need to provide proof that they have the right to work in the UK. Information on Right to Work legislation can be found at Right to Work in UK
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. As such we encourage anybody who needs a reasonable adjustment during the recruitment process to contact the recruiter or hiring manager dealing with your application who will discuss the reasonable adjustments required with you.
We are committed to offering flexible working within our organisation. We will consider all requests to work part-time, flexibly or on a job-share basis. Please speak to the recruitment team or the hiring manager if you would like to discuss flexible working arrangements.
If you are applying for a role in an office within a regional centre location or a transitional or specialist site, then the following may apply: Daily Travel Assistance will be available for this role, provided the successful applicant is a current RCDTS employee and meets the eligibility requirements outlined in the department’s Daily Travel Assistance guidance.
HMRC’s Technology Sourcing Programme
HMRC faces a number of contract expiries combined with the need to re-balance control over its digital and technology capability to ensure HMRC can respond quickly and effectively to changing requirements and priorities.
This is a multi-year programme to transform how HMRC delivers and uses IT. The programme is in place to design and deliver the safe disaggregation, exit and transition of HMRC’s major IT contracts and stand-up new arrangements to deliver both IT run and change activity.
The programme will develop and implement a new technology supply chain model, protect live services, enable the department to remediate and prevent technical debt, reduce risk in our IT estate, improve cost effectiveness, provide flexibility and establish partnerships with suppliers to deliver innovation.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services