These exciting opportunities cover the lifecycle of the submarines and you will facilitate the delivery of some of the biggest defence programmes in the UK today! Using your knowledge and experience of working in a complex project environment, as the Electrical Engineer you will deliver across a range of environments and will engage with internal and external stakeholders to resolve complex electrical issues.
The PEDT forms a key component of the in-service support of Submarines, transforming equipment reliability and supports the Enterprise by utilising data in new ways to improve submarine availability. SSNR - our future attack submarine capability, plays a key part in replacing the Astute-class submarines, focusing on Electromagnetic (EM) capability, you will ensure that the systems are coherent and accurate with stakeholder expectations.
Regular travel to our industrial partner sites across the UK, such as BAE Systems in Barrow-in-Furness will be required.
Due to the nature of security, these roles are open to sole UK Nationals only. In addition, due to the nature of security, the post within SSNR team will require the successful applicant to undertake DV clearance.
The responsibilities of the positions will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Act as the equipment authority section leader for all platform electrical equipment within PEDT, including the submarine electrical power and distribution system and its associated equipment such as cables, connectors, breakers, power convertors and the main battery
* Formulate and undertake approving authority analysis of the electrical distribution system and map its integration path challenges, resolving any technical challenges that emerge through build and commissioning
* Provide engineering input to the assessment and management of technical risks associated with platform electrical systems
* Ensure design intent is maintained, striving to improve reliability and availability
* Make recommendations on any deviations and identify initiatives and develop them to successful completion
* Ensure all submarine platform equipment is safe and reliable
* Ensure the SSNR electromagnetic policy and EM mitigations systems are coherent with stakeholder expectations and that the management information from our Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers is consistent, accurate and reflects the programme technical challenges
* Undertake the Technical Lead for EM mitigations systems and subset of other signature mitigation systems and supporting the wider electrical engineering approving authority roles and responsibilities
* Conduct audits of safety and electrical installations
* Lead, manage and develop a team
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or will demonstrate equivalent experience
* Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or have proven equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* Have a wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Electrical Engineering approaches
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Have experience working in a regulated industry
* Have experience leading a team
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making - Practitioner
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance - Practitioner
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, SDA promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an attend for a purpose approach in relation to visits to site.
Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within the SDA - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within the SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other