About the Role
Our Expert Advisors provide specialist advice to support business managers across HMRC on a full range of complex HR issues in accordance with HR policies and guidance, to assist resolving workplace matters quickly and proportionately.
These are important posts in a busy, command led within an increasingly telephony based and digital environment, so we are looking for motivated, confident and enthusiastic individuals. Whilst this role is initially focused on supporting the formal HR processes, due to the nature of our work we need the successful candidate to be flexible, willing to cover all elements of HR Casework as required, including the restorative side of work.
In addition, the team have launched a new Expert Advice Service (EAS) which provides support for employees with workplace issues. The service seeks to find creative and sustainable solutions that build productive working environments for all those involved in workplace conflict and to provide an employee focused approach to HR processes when they are needed.
You will primarily support HMRC's People Strategy to;
• Deliver the workforce we need through expert support for managers and senior leaders.
• Improve people engagement and leadership capability.
• Improve the employee experience for all our people.
At HMRC, we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
As a Senior HR Caseworker in EAS, you will be responsible for providing specialist expert advice to a range of senior managers across HMRC covering the full range of complex HR issues in accordance with HR policies and guidance. These are high-profile posts in a busy environment, so we are looking for motivated, confident, capable and hardworking individuals who require no training and can operate independently.
You will be accountable for delivering a high-quality, professional, practical, customer focused HR service. Primary duties include:
• Providing practical expert HR advice to managers handling complex HR formal decisions up to and including dismissal and litigation.
• Ensuring Decision Managers (DMs) have an appropriate case handling strategy and that the cases are dealt with fairly, accurately and efficiently and that all parties involved are treated with dignity and respect throughout the process.
• Demonstrating your expertise in case management and supporting DMs to identify risks or gaps in handling complex cases.
• Providing administrative support to DMs by scheduling the evidence, resolving delays and considering strategic impacts while encouraging them to focus on making evidence-based decisions that align with HMRC’s policies and values.
Overview of the skills required
This is a demanding technical role so strong previous casework experience, particularly in discipline and grievance cases, is essential so you can provide confident, focused advice to HMRC’s senior leaders on our most complex cases. Experience in stakeholder management, leadership and holding difficult conversations with senior managers is also essential.
Working as a member of the EAS management team you will be responsible for the delivery of our core service, which involves liaising with HMRC’s senior managers regarding complex situations that have a significant business impact, ensuring individuals needs and rights are considered to achieve reasonable, accurate and proportionate outcomes. In addition, you will:
• Drive and support improvement in casework quality and application within your own caseload and by taking a lead in portfolio/matrix working activities across EAS.
• Improving manager and business confidence and capability by coaching through difficult workplace issues.
• Embedding HMRC priorities, values and HMRC’s Respect at Work agenda in all casework activity and interactions.
• Contributing to the management and direction of the Expert Advice Service to deliver HMRC’s people strategy.
• Undertake required ongoing learning and development to ensure our advice is aligned with current policies and employment legislation.
The role may involve direct line management responsibilities or purely technical casework. For both you will be a member of the EAS management team and will be required to coach and support peer and junior colleagues and role model leadership behaviours.
You are required to demonstrate experience of the following within your application:
• Experience of working in a fast-paced technical customer service environment.
• an excellent working knowledge of HR Policies and Employment Legislation and practically applying them to workplace situations.
• Recent experience of working in a busy public sector or private sector HR Casework environment.
• Working experience of successful coaching interventions particularly at a senior level.
Please Note: It must be clear from the employment history/current job that you meet the essential criteria).
• Recent experience of direct line management of people.
• Experience of delivering workplace mediations or facilitating conversations between parties to resolve workplace issues.
• Experience of representation and/or a working knowledge of Employment Tribunals.
Minimum CIPD Level 5 (or equivalent experience) or working towards.
• Travel and overnight stays may be required across the UK.
• The post is full time, however, applicants who wish to work alternative working patterns are welcome to apply. The preferred working pattern will be subject to business need, for example a minimum of 24hrs per week spread over 4 days, and any request to work an alternative working pattern should be made prior to your acceptance of the provisional offer.
• Completion of e-Learning relating to HR matters/policies. Attendance at various technical workshops as and when deemed necessary. There may also be the option of undertaking additional CIPD qualifications subject to business need and after you have become established in the post.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services