The DSST is tasked with the responsibility to ensure continuous at sea deterrence by providing Government Furnished Assets (GFA) into the Dreadnought submarine build programme and enabling seamless Transition Into Service (TIS). To do this, the DSST manages the supply of GFA, commercially furnished equipment, TIS and training equipment into the Dreadnought programme and ensures that the items supplied are safe, fit for purpose and legal. The DSST are the Equipment Authority for key systems onboard the submarine that support the operation of the Strategic Weapon System and hence have a technical role in the design, product acceptance, build and commissioning of the Dreadnought Submarine.
We are keen to hear from engineers with nuclear knowledge, from either defence or civil industry, or from exceptional candidates with experience of the design and manufacture of complex mechanical components.
Due to the nature of the project involved, this role will require applicants to be sole UK Nationals. Please also note that this role offers a successful applicant the following:
* Some Foreign Travel to the US is likely to be required for personnel in this role
* External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
* Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses
Your exceptional communication and influencing skills will allow you to build strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, in order to obtain and relay information critical to these projects.
The prime responsibilities of this post will include, but not be limited to, acting as DSST coordinator for:
* Technical assessment of product material state and task authorisation forms for technical rectification activities
* Design changes associated with the supplied equipment and management of change notices and change proposals
* Work travelled to the UK shipyard via Descope, Deferral and Transfer Requests
* Acting as the Equipment Authority Representative at the UK shipyard
You will also:
* Act as a technical point of contact between the DSST New London office, in the USA, and the UK
* Coordinate engineering inputs required for the technical assessment of US product assurance packs to support delivery of kitted equipment into the UK shipyard
* Act as the DSST liaison with BAES for kit delivery queries
* Review and coordinate relevant trouble casualty reports and temporary waivers
* Supporting other sections of DSST/Dreadnought Alliance, including:
o Assisting the DSST Equipment Authority with the analysis and approval of the US GFA
o Assisting with information required for Equipment Authority input, support and technical analysis for Polaris Sales Agreement (PSA) enquiries and PSA Categorisation
o Supporting the delivery of the Equipment Authority technical governance process including the delivery of design reviews and supporting documents
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a relevant Level 4 (e.g. HNC, or higher) qualification, or have relevant equivalent experience
* Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* Have a wide depth and breadth of technical experience in engineering
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience working in the maritime domain, or another regulated industries such as nuclear, oil & gas, aerospace, automotive, rail etc.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
* Technical Risk Management
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Selection process details
"Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV. Your application will go through several stages of assessment which are outlined below:
1. Pre-sift - We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
2. Sift - Applicants' CVs are assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system:
* Key Achievements * Relevant Experience * Applied Knowledge and Skills
3. Interview - Applicants will be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the technical competencies and behaviours listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other