The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 2000 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
Are you a Project Controls Manager looking for an exciting new opportunity? Do you want a role working on once-in-a-lifetime projects? Do multiple diverse opportunities for career progression appeal to you? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
The SDA is an integral part of UK Defence supporting our Nuclear Submarines; responsibilities include procurement, in service support and disposal. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance and delivers some of the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We are currently looking to recruit a Project Control Manager within our Submarine Production (SMP) team. The Submarine Production team consists of a mixture of both civilian and Royal Navy personnel based in Abbey Wood and at the BAE Systems site at Barrow-in-Furness. Responsible for delivery of the seven Astute Class submarines, including the provision of the Astute Class training service, to ensure that the crews are trained to operate and maintain the platforms, and the initial support solution to ensure that the platforms can be supported as they move from build and transfer to in-service routines
You will be responsible for setting and maintaining performance measurement baselines; directing and integrating all aspects of Earned Value Management (EVM); cost management; estimating; scheduling and risk management; providing analysis of progress and driving agreed recovery actions.
As a Project Controls Manager, this opportunity could allow you to fulfil your ambition to work on exciting and unique projects and could involve you helping to ensure the launch of our latest submarines through to buying essential safety and training equipment.
Please note, due to security requirements, some posts will be Reserved for Sole UK Nationals.
As a Project Controls Manager, your work will include:
- Key input in all stages of the project from initiation and planning, monitoring through to implementation and completion, ensuring the application of project controls processes are applied.
- Proactively supporting the Project Manager.
- Managing / undertaking day to day project controls activities: Identifying, analysing and reporting on scheduling, Earned Value Management, risk and cost management data.
- Analysing of supplier performance information.
- Management of schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification and recovery plan development activities.
- Monthly reporting including the generation of portfolio/project dashboards and associated analysis and recommendations.
- Forecasting resource both DE&S staffing and industry costs to support business planning.
- Risk analysis and management and providing the analysis to support business cases and delivery.
- Overseeing relevant project data to identify problems and propose effective solutions or changes.
- Managing change to the performance measurement baseline.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience managing at least one element of Project Delivery (e.g. risk management, estimating, planning & scheduling, cost control)
- Previous experience within a Project Control Manager position OR relevant experience within a project environment
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- A degree or membership within a relevant discipline (APM, AcostE, etc.)
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Controlling a project
- Stakeholder Management
- Communicating and influencing
- Delivering at pace
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other