As an Environmental Manager within the SDA, you will be instrumental in supporting our activities in the aforementioned areas; producing, maintaining and supporting environmental cases across our broad portfolio of activities and ensuring a positive culture is maintained with clear focus on people, submarine and environmental protection.
There are a number of posts across the organisation where your existing skills and expertise will be matched to provide immediate benefit, within an environment where your aspirations for further development and training can be realised.
You will be working in support of the most complex artefacts on the planet, which include end-to-end lifecycle activities associated with nuclear submarines and the supporting infrastructure. Specific responsibilities would include, but not limited, to one or more of the following:
* Management and governance of the Environmental and Sustainability Management System
* Environmental Case production, maintenance and management
* Co-ordinating inputs from Approving and Technical Authorities
* Identification of environmental risks throughout the entire lifecycle of the submarine programme and documenting environmental impacts from concept to disposal
* Supporting the business drive towards Net Zero Carbon
* Embedding climate change and sustainability into work activities
Due to the nature of the project involved, this role will require applicants to be sole UK Nationals. Please also note that these posts are located at either Barrow-in-Furness or Bristol.
If based at Barrow-in-Furness, this role offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in an Engineering or related subject, or equivalent experience in industry
* Demonstrable experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful outcomes in environmental management and minimising environmental harm
* A good depth and breadth of technical engineering experience in your own specialism
* Hold full membership of an environmental society or institution, or able to demonstrate equivalent relevant experience
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience within a regulated industry such as Maritime, Oil and Gas, Aerospace, Nuclear, Petrochemical, or similar
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Formulate Env policy and procedures
* Implementation of policy and procedures
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee's ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV. Your application will go through several stages of assessment which are outlined below:
1. Pre-sift - We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
2. Sift - Applicants' CVs are assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system:
* Key Achievements * Relevant Experience * Applied Knowledge and Skills
3. Interview - Applicants will be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the technical competencies and behaviours listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other