If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply now!
Are you fascinated by cutting edge defence technology and excited by the opportunity to work first hand with on military platforms and systems supporting our Armed Forces? If so, this may be the right role for you!
We at DE&S have a unique and exciting opportunity for a Cyber Security Engineer to join our Future Capabilities Group (FCG) supporting Front Line Commands. In FCG, we provide early acquisition advice to better inform decisions and shape acquisition strategies, whilst accelerating exploitation of technology and innovation.
As a Cyber Security Engineer, with a bias towards ethical hacking, pen-testing and technical resilience solutions, you will become the technical lead to enable the team to explore and to deliver capability that is resilient to emerging cyber equipment threats, for this complex and emerging technology area. The role focuses on the technical aspects of Cyber Security, to help accelerate technical solutions to mitigate cyber threats. It will involve working with others in the Defence Innovation Ecosystem on either new solutions or to help pull-through low readiness solutions developed previously.
We proactively promote continued professional development, and if you do not already hold, we will work with you towards relevant security qualifications (e.g. CCP, CISSP, CISM, NIST etc.).
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, this role is reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
Other opportunities may be available in the Land Equipment Operating Centre, for suitably qualified reserve candidates, specifically in the Soldier Training and Special Programmes Team who kit and equip our Soldiers.
In this role, you will use your engineering expertise help devise and progress technical solutions to overall cyber risks.
The responsibilities of this post will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Understand the operational environment of the equipment and the cyber security risks that this presents, identifying threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations
* Work with others to understand the cyber technical risks, and potential solutions
* Work to directly, or via others to progress the application of mitigations to the risks
* Provide advice on the residual cyber security risk associated with user experimentation, entry into service, and through life, to customers and users, supporting the development of any resulting risk balance cases as a technical authority
* Lead on the development of new processes and future technical solutions, where required, to enable the MOD to make the most of emerging technology, understanding the changing threat environment
* Assess industry-delivered equipment and design artefacts, whilst continually explore emerging technologies and innovation in line with customer and capability requirements
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a minimum of Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in an engineering related discipline or will demonstrate equivalent relevant experience
* Have engineering experience in a relevant field such as ethical hacking, Pen-testing, cyber or security environments
* Have engineering experience in a relevant field such as security, intelligence, networking, electronics or systems engineering environments
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of working in a defence, intelligence, or research and development environment in other government departments, industry or academia
* Have the ability to communicate well with both technical and non-technical customers
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making
* Technical Risk Management
* Changing and improving
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other