Reports to: Project Manager
Key Role Descriptors:
- The role holder will manage the successful delivery of major work packages, ensuring compliance with the City Council project management methodology.
- The role holder will ensure that change is managed effectively by working with project teams and stakeholders within the business.
- The role holder will provide professional advice, support and guidance for team members, colleagues and stakeholders to assist in decision making.
Key Role Accountabilities:
- Act as work package manager on large and complex elements of work, resolving day-to-day project issues, escalating them as necessary.
- Define scope of project and initiatives, ensuring deadlines are understood and adhered to and that objectives are clearly articulated and understood.
- Assist in the provision of solution options to complex problems, and develop robust business cases to support all change activities so that decision making is supported.
- Ensure projects and initiatives are effectively resourced and that key stakeholders are identified, and roles and responsibilities agreed and communicated effectively.
- Manage stakeholder and customer expectations throughout the lifecycle of the project or initiative. Develop and maintain effective relationships with senior officers and other key stakeholders, ensuring clear and effective channels of communication.
- Accountable for the management of all project documentation (in a manner consistent with the Manchester Method where appropriate), including management of effective record keeping and version control of project documentation.
- Proactively develop and maintain the project risk and issues schedule, regularly monitoring, updating and reporting on progress.
- Roles at this level may be required to manage a range of assigned resources, which may be human, financial or other, to ensure continuous improvement in service delivery. Staff management duties may be either through direct line management of a team (including appraisals, performance management and other duties) or through matrix management of a virtual team of officers.
- Personal commitment to continuous self development and service
- Through personal example, open commitment and clear action, ensure diversity is positively valued, resulting in equal access and treatment in employment, service delivery and communications.
- Where the roleholder is disabled, every effort will be made to supply all necessary aids, adaptations or equipment to allow them to carry out all the duties of the job. If, however, a certain task proves to be unachievable, job redesign will be given full consideration.
Generic Behaviours: General
- Teamwork: Working together helps deliver the best outcomes
- Customer Service: Putting customers at the heart of what we do
- Delivery: Delivery of high quality services is at the heart of what we do
- Change: Improving services and making the most of resources
- Pride in Manchester: Demonstrating pride in our city
Project Management:Ability to develop detailed project schedules including the ability to develop and monitor project progress through the use of GANTT charts and other effective mechanisms. Ability to identify, assess and manage risks to the success of the project. Experience of working on projects within a project environment and to a structured project methodology.
Planning and Organising: Ability to plan, direct and coordinate activities to manage and implement interrelated projects from project initiation through to implementation.
Analytical Skills: Ability to translate analyses into business cases which define potential benefits, options for achieving the benefits of new or changes processes, and associated business risks.
Problem Solving and Decision Making: Strong decision making skills with the ability to analyse risks and resolve complex issues in a pressurised environment.
Communication Skills: Well-developed influencing and persuasive skills and ability to offer a persuasive argument both with internal and external stakeholders in order to achieve key project milestones whilst retaining a positive attitude. Proven ability in managing relationships with project stakeholders at all levels of seniority through effective communication.
Finance: Resource and financial management skills, including resolution of conflicting priorities, formulating budgets, rigorous monitoring and control procedures.
Creative Skills: Ability to think creatively and provide innovative solutions to problems. Has ability to develop new approaches to finding solutions outside of existing parameters.
Commissioning Skills: An awareness of the role of commissioning in effective and efficient service delivery
ICT Skills: Ability to use multiple applications, systems and associated software packages.
Technical requirements (Role Specific)
- Qualified to ITIL foundation level, or willing to work towards.
- Proven experience of successfully managing and delivering a range of projects and support packages within a structured project management structure such as PRINCE 2 or equivalent.
- Demonstrable knowledge of business analysis techniques and tools.
- Experience of undertaking detailed Business Analysis role within a large and complex organisation.
- To work flexibly including out of core hours as required to meet customer demand and service requirements.
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other