As a Design and Development Engineer, you are responsible for owning and delivering work packages within the value engineering function, achieving on time product delivery and compliance to specifications and customer requirements. You will work closely with other functional teams and external stakeholders to ensure effective & efficient design and development, including Design for Manufacture & Assembly, cost, weight, reliability and performance.
- Design & develop discrete elements of the seat system achieving comfort, reliability, performance, aesthetic, cost & weight targets.
- Work closely with suppliers to develop the design, taking into consideration supplier capability and piece cost, as well as identifying & exploiting opportunities for technical or commercial advantage.
- Support the Operations Team to aid suppliers to deliver to the required quality and specification.
- Continually drive the design towards DFM (design for manufacture) and DFA (design for assembly).
- Generate and contribute to the generation of development timing plans, and actively engage in measures to adhere to plan.
- Drive problem solving activities related to design, development, quality, and manufacturing issues.
- Take responsibility for assigned elements of the seat design, ensuring parts and assemblies are designed to achieve an integrated seat and aircraft installation design solution.
- Produce high quality 3D & 2D design definition using Catia V5 and SmarTeam, along with supporting documentation.
- Substantiate designs from a 3D perspective to ensure clash detection and DFA have been evaluated.
- Validate & develop design through evaluation of prototypes where appropriate.
- Progress assigned work packages from concept through to supporting production, adhering to the NPD Process.
- Perform fundamental engineering hand calculations (including stress and stiffness) to substantiate the design of the product where necessary.
- Liaise with external customers to ensure design requirements are understood and achieved.
- Conduct presentations internally and at critical reviews to the customer.
- Liaise with certification, stress and structural Engineering teams to ensure designs meet the structural and aircraft airworthiness requirements.
- Manage, track and report to ensure adherence to programme deliverables on time and to the right quality.
- Support multiple NPD programmes in parallel.
Skills and experience required
- A mechanical engineering degree (or equivalent) achieved at 2:1 or above.
- Experience of working on mechanical product development programmes in a design, manufacturing and test environment.
- Sufficient exposure to the latest manufacturing techniques such as composites, injection mouldings, vacuum forming, castings, forgings, extrusions and machining from solid.
- Demonstrable experience in planning and executing complex activities.
- Demonstrable experience of developing products to high-quality specifications.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to propose innovative ideas.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Diligent, enthusiastic and driven, with an excellent work ethic, and a "can do" attitude.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and manage conflicting demands.
- Good personal time management and comfortable working to deadlines.
- Highly adaptable and capable of making decisions in a fast and pressured environment.
- Committed, flexible and able to multi-task.
- Proficient user of Catia V5, with experience of producing high quality models & engineering drawings.
- Proficient in MS Office (including MS Project).
- Resilient and determined to overcome obstacles to project completion.
- Ability to undertake worldwide travel as required by business needs.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership
- Experience of developing and implementing best practice methodologies
- Experience in an aerospace seating environment
- Experience of project management/project engineering
- Experience of robustness and reliability testing
Permanent, Full Time
- Industry Sector Other