Housing Needs Officer needed in based in Birmingham and the salary is £9.50ph PAYE
This is a full time temporary role.
Employer Reference: 355849
This role will involve
- Assess homelessness applications within Part VII of the Housing Act. Determine what duty is owed and notify the customer in writing of this decision within statutory targets. Where appropriate issue discharge of duty notifications.
- Deliver expert homelessness advice, information and assistance on a broad range of complex housing problems i.e. advice and information regarding security of tenure, legal rights of occupation and eligibility for benefits.
- Have a strong focus on homeless prevention work. Understand the real reasons for homelessness/at risk of homelessness and use a range of prevention tools to maximise opportunities to prevent and relieve homelessness.
- Support customers to live in their existing accommodation through negotiation/mediation with landlords, family members, statutory agencies and other housing providers or actively secure alternative suitable accommodation.
- Manage customer expectations by having realistic conversations with customers regarding BCC’s housing stock availability. Support the service to successfully discharge its statutory duties into the Private Rented Sector.
- Distinguish customers entitlement to benefits and help customers to apply for financial support i.e. Homeless Prevention Fund.
- Support the Housing Solution & Support Service to reduce the use of TA by ensuring that all other housing solutions are explored before placing a household into TA.
- Where homelessness cannot be prevented, conduct a risk assessment and make arrangements for suitable interim accommodation.
- Support the TA and Accommodation Finding Service to timely and successfully move on homeless households in TA into suitable secured accommodation.
Ideally candidates will have:
- Professional CIH housing qualification (level 3) or equivalent experience.
- Good experience of working in the housing profession.
- Experience of working with homeless households and utilising a broad range of housing solutions to prevent and relieve homelessness.
- Experience of working in a frontline service role, delivering services to customers with vulnerabilities and multiple complex needs.
- Proficient in the use of IT, specifically MS Office packages including Word and Excel.
Due to high volumes of CVs received we are not able to respond to all unsuccessful applications. You will always however hear from us by phone if we are able to take your CV forward to the next stage.
If you are interested in the role please apply on our website with your CV, alternatively you can email your CV to [email protected] quoting the reference number.
Essential Employment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy. Essential Employment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
All our roles may be subject to pre-employment checks including references so please be prepared.
You can also follow us at Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn or via our website www.essentialemploy.co.uk
Contract, Full Time
- Industry Sector Public Sector & Services